Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over head Gantry Signage on M50

Options
  • 11-12-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move to Infrastructure if necessary.

Is it just me or have they erected the over head Gantry signs on M50 without being lit at nightime.

I was travelling last night and noticed none of them are flood lit.

I have travelled a fair bit on Motorways in UK and especially on M25 London Orbital which is about 117 miles in total, all the overhead Gantret signs at floodlit.

Is this an error on the NRA's part or just a cost issue.........
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Is it just me or have they erected the over head Gantry signs on M50 without being lit at nightime.

I have travelled a fair bit on Motorways in UK and especially on M25 London Orbital which is about 117 miles in total, all the overhead Gantret signs at floodlit.

I think the UK is fairly unique in the above regard. I guess other countries including the ROI expect car head lamps to light up the signs - I suspect this may be faulty thinking regarding roads which involve continuous heavy traffic like the M50 - sure head lamps will (or should) almost always be dipped on such routes - can anyone add to this?

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I would LOVE it if we could all start a campaign to have these signs flash "Keep Left Unless Overtaking!" messages. Anything to help reduce the scourge of middle & overtaking lane-hogging we're suffering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think the UK is fairly unique in the above regard. I guess other countries including the ROI expect car head lamps to light up the signs - I suspect this may be faulty thinking regarding roads which involve continuous heavy traffic like the M50 - sure head lamps will (or should) almost always be dipped on such routes - can anyone add to this?

Regards!

I notice that overhead gantry signs show up brightly with heavy traffic. There's a lot of stray light bouncing around to hit the sign's reflective surface.

Even though dipped headlights are aimed low there is still some scattered light from the lens, and there's also light reflecting up from the road and off other vehicles.

If traffic level is low, but not enough for full beams, then there's less light to illuminate the signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

These signs don't seem to be angled to collect the light either so far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Noticed that myself a couple of weeks back on a gloomy night - gantries seemed to just loom up out of nowhere and were difficult to read and absorb info. etc. - given how much was spent on the road in its various phases, would it have been too much to ask to spend a few quid lighting the gantries independently so that they are clearly seen, and easy to read, from a decent distance back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jrar wrote: »
    Noticed that myself a couple of weeks back on a gloomy night - gantries seemed to just loom up out of nowhere and were difficult to read and absorb info. etc. - given how much was spent on the road in its various phases, would it have been too much to ask to spend a few quid lighting the gantries independently so that they are clearly seen, and easy to read, from a decent distance back ?

In this country? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

jrar wrote: »

Thats my point, by the time you keeping looking up to manoveure into the appropriate lane to exit off Motorway its too late.

The overhead gantry signs are not angled down towards the road user like UK.

It just seems a cheap finish from the NRA. Disappointing.:rolleyes:

Advertisement