Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopping on a roundabout, who has right of way?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

While driving to work this morning I stopped briefly on a roundabout as the traffic for the exit before my exit was backed up and the jeep in front blocked my lane with his big ass.

As I started moving again a car pulled onto the roundabout in front of me because, as I found out later, the driver reckoned that once I stopped on the roundabout I lost right of way even though I was already on the roundabout and I was coming from his right.

Long story short, I kept going and he stopped.

How do I know what he was thinking? He works with my wife!!

Anyway, I'd love to know what the situation is as this kind of scenario can occur quite frequently in rush hour traffic and I do not need an insurance claim / court case on my hands.

Regards,

Frank.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Those on the roundabout always have right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Those on the roundabout always have right of way.

yeah defo.. you had the right of way....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Can be a bit of a sticky one - You're not supposed to enter a standard roundabout unless you're clear to exit on the other side, pretty much the same as a regular junction.
    Unfortunately the practicalities of that fly out the window in rush hour traffic.
    Depending on the individual situation he may also claim that he was also on the roundabout and therefore entitled to proceed as you were stopped. However you can also claim that you were obstructed but you should not enter a roundabout if the obstruction is already there.
    I wouldn't like to be going to court with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My understand of this is no one stops on a roundabout. If you try to exit at the 2nd exit and its blocked you must proceed to the third or completly around,

Of course like many I stop but just seen as though the official question is being asked.

PS: Bullsh1t as to the fact you lost your right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. The roundabout was actually clear to my exit, well it was until the jeep in front of me threw lane discipline out the window and it looked like he had blocked my lane. I stopped (only for a moment) to see if I had room to pass, which in fact I did but it was a bit tight.

I hate roundabouts, they are a legal minefield if anything happens no matter who has right of way.

Regards,

Frank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

You should try to keep the roundabout clear BUT what if the road is very busy. You can stop on the roundabout just don't block any roads.
    If you don't move onto the roundabout you will never get onto it.
    Just don't pull out if there is someone coming from the right..

Advertisement