Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely addicted to A State of Trance ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

try
    super8 & tab - Anjunabeats worldwide radioshow
    &
    Paul van Dyk - Vonyc Sessions
    &
    Ferry Corsten - Corstens Countdown

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

M.I.K.E's Club Elite Sessions tend to be a little behind the times but they have decent trance tunage.

Also that above and beyond tune good for me - try the King Roc Dub.

And get your hands on Gabriel and Dresdens Toolroom Knights compilation

edit: And anjunadeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I cant be dealing with cheesy Euro Trance being churned out to the masses by Armin,Tiesto and co (everyone to their own) there is some decent trance out there but few and far between, here's one good track from 2009 by the iconic Art Of Trance, IMO 90% of todays Trance is rubbish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s30yJw3gEPc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

A State of Trance is great, if not a little cheesey but we'll let Armin away with that as he's a nice guy! I always put the podcast on whilst running and I do really enjoy it, he certainly gets his hands on the big tunes first!

I have been addicted to Above & Beyonds 'Trance Around The World' for about 4 years now, I listen to it religiously whilst jogging, and I have to say I have heard some of the best trance I have ever heard on there.. I was a big trance head back in the 97-99 Trance heights and yes the songs back then mean more to me as I was going clubbing and getting mashed all the time, but the quality of some of the productions these days are unbeleivable... just goes to show that with the amound of producers out there, you do really need to be a cut above the rest, and many of the artists signed to anjuna beats are simply just that...

Check it out... I'm listening to #297 right now, #298 will be live this evening from London...

www.trancearoundtheworld.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Sure do love my Trance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys let’s try to keep the slagging of other people’s genre choices to a minimum please, I’ve been getting a lot of complaints about it recently. Thanks

I'm not into trance either, but I do think it’s absolutely incredible just how popular Armin Van Burren is. From what I can see he seems to be capturing a market of people who are not normally into electronic music, but get introduced to it from the his albums etc which seem to be commercially very popular – but they seem to get really really into it. Just recently I’ve seen quite a few facebook status updates from random people talking about how much they love his music etc. Fair play to him he’s obviously making a fcuking fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Trance music thesedays is a lot different from what it was in the 1990's when it was mostly underground, today it is widespread and appeals mostly to teenagers, fair play as long as they are having a good time that's what it's all about at the end of the day,it's just not for me.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

On an honest note the tracks in this thread are alright considering the producers in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys let’s try to keep the slagging of other people’s genre choices to a minimum please, I’ve been getting a lot of complaints about it recently. Thanks
    Would they not just voice their concerns and defend their taste in music rather than realise they cant and run to a moderator?

On topic I think ASOT is decent, as a weekly podcast its worth the listen but I like Armin and I still amn't crazy for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I highly recommend you pick up the Armada (Armins label) anniversary CD, and also some of the Anjunabeats Volumes (especially 6 + 7). ASOT is also broadcast on the Kiss radio station on Sky digital from 12am on Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

Universal Religion Chapter 4 is pretty good too, it's apparently done live in Amnesia, a good mix of the best tunes he's played out during his sets..

In particular I'm warming to the first song BT - Every other way, his remix of a song on BT's upcoming album ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Would they not just voice their concerns and defend their taste in music rather than realise they cant and run to a moderator?

Voicing your concerns generally ends up in some kinda flame war unfortunately ... (I'm not active in this forum that much)

I listen to a lot of metal ... I listen to a lot of trance ... I listen to psygoa ... world music ... country .. and so on ... ( Scooter is actually one of my most listened to artists from what last.fm tells me :Dhttp://www.last.fm/user/forbairt and I think he's bloody awful / cringe worthy but the music fits my mood for work a lot of the time )

I think the issue is that you shouldn't have to defend your taste in music its ... your taste in music

I realise some people are coming on with their dislike of current day trance ... does that help me ? ... not really BUT .. the links to what they do like I'll give a listen to

Music evolves ... If I heard some of the stuff here 20 years ago I'd be completely blown away I think :D

forbairt wrote: »
    Voicing your concerns generally ends up in some kinda flame war unfortunately ... (I'm not active in this forum that much)

I listen to a lot of metal ... I listen to a lot of trance ... I listen to psygoa ... world music ... country .. and so on ... ( Scooter is actually one of my most listened to artists from what last.fm tells me :Dhttp://www.last.fm/user/forbairt and I think he's bloody awful / cringe worthy but the music fits my mood for work a lot of the time )

I think the issue is that you shouldn't have to defend your taste in music its ... your taste in music

I realise some people are coming on with their dislike of current day trance ... does that help me ? ... not really BUT .. the links to what they do like I'll give a listen to

Music evolves ... If I heard some of the stuff here 20 years ago I'd be completely blown away I think :D

Completely agree. The **** thing about this country is that Trance is unfortunately associated with scumbags and drug addicts. However, its a horribly misguided accusation as DJ Rankin and all the other 160bpm muppets are being mistakenly labelled as Trance. When have you heard a scumbag listening to the types of tunes above? I haven't. I appreciate all types of music, from metal to rap, house to trance, but there is something truly special about well produced Trance that I can't explain to you, you really have to feel it yourself. Its like a 5+ minute track, that just takes you away to somewhere better for that short length of time. Music that makes you feel and think, not neccesarily music you need drugs to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

This forum shouldn't be a place for people to bitch about eachothers' taste in dance music, it should be a place to people with similar tastes in dance to converse and expose eachother to new artists, and also (as it already is) a place to seek technical advice on DJ/production equipment.

So no, they shouldn't voice their concerns, they should run to a moderator, whose job it is to keep the forum as mentioned above.

I agree DarkJager,

I have lived out of Ireland now for 5+ years and I have been to trance parties all around the world, and it's fair to say that trance in Ireland is associated with 16 year old knacker gangs, which is a real shame...

Even in London, if you go to the Gallery at MoS on a Friday night, the average age of the crowd is about 25.. and, if there is a world popular DJ on, such as last time I was there for Above&Beyond, you will be people of all ages from all corners of the globe (funniest was meeting a young 'homie' type kid from san antonio, texas, who was a massive A&B fan, sounds lad)

I sometimes get excited when I see a trance DJ lined up to play in Dublin when I'm home, but then I remember I can't go cos the place will be full of pill head kids... I blame the abundance of drugs!

PS I heard this tune this week and nearly melted my heart.. listen to the gorgeous voice... awesome vocal trance tune..

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

lima wrote: »
    I sometimes get excited when I see a trance DJ lined up to play in Dublin when I'm home, but then I remember I can't go cos the place will be full of pill head kids... I blame the abundance of drugs!

This was actually the main reason I didn't go to Infected Mushroom when they were playing dublin ... I just expected people to be off their .. bits

Yes its Sinead O'Connors trance tune :D Quite alright though in my opinon.

This forum shouldn't be a place for people to bitch about eachothers' taste in dance music, it should be a place to people with similar tastes in dance to converse and expose eachother to new artists, and also (as it already is) a place to seek technical advice on DJ/production equipment.

So no, they shouldn't voice their concerns, they should run to a moderator, whose job it is to keep the forum as mentioned above.
    I didn't say bitch, I implied debate. Your taste is your taste, thats fair enough what sounds good to the ear differs from person to person even within the same genre so thats going to happen. If someone launches into an attack on your taste in music you should be able to defend it.
    The moderator should step in if this crosses over into a personal attack but not if someone has ago at a certain song or type of music.

I blame the abundance of drugs!

Ah in fairness, there's as much, if not more, drugs in Europe. It's the abundance of idiots that's the problem.

• Advertisement

I didn't say bitch, I implied debate. Your taste is your taste, thats fair enough what sounds good to the ear differs from person to person even within the same genre so thats going to happen. If someone launches into an attack on your taste in music you should be able to defend it.
    The moderator should step in if this crosses over into a personal attack but not if someone has ago at a certain song or type of music.

I'm talking generally about the forum, because a lot of the time what happens is someone comes on asking for a recommendation of tunes from a certain genre, and someone else comes on who doesn't like said genre, and slags off said genre, and a bitching session ensues. It shouldn't be like that.

PS I heard this tune this week and nearly melted my heart.. listen to the gorgeous voice... awesome vocal trance tune..

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Check this out ;)

I'm talking generally about the forum, because a lot of the time what happens is someone comes on asking for a recommendation of tunes from a certain genre, and someone else comes on who doesn't like said genre, and slags off said genre, and a bitching session ensues. It shouldn't be like that.
    I'm not going to defend mindless bitching from someone with musical arrogance.
    People criticising music should be allowed and debated though and not just cut out by the mods.

Why do I need to defend/debate it ? ... its my taste in music ... friends will slag me off fair enough they are friends and they are entitled to IMO ... the interwebs is random people I've not met unlikey to meet most of ye to be honest .. unless of course I know you a bit better then of course you're allowed slag me off online.

Stay on topic ... saying XYZ is **** doesn't really help matters ( wonder if XYZ is a dj :D )

If I started a thread saying what do people think of XYZ .. then fair enough

I'm loving A State of Trance ... its potentially very commercial .. but he seems to be doing a VERY good job with it ..

forbairt wrote: »
    wonder if XYZ is a dj :D

http://www.myspace.com/djxyz :D

You may also like Gareth Emery's podcast. I don't particularly but he's got a bit of a serious following at this stage.

On the I hate trance bandwagon, it's a bit ridiculous to constantly jump down the neck of people that come on looking for tune suggestions and stuff. (Completely acceptable when people come on looking for donk or anything like that though haha)

Why should they have to defend their music taste to you? If you dont like the genre, get out of the thread. He didnt ask for a discussion, he asked for suggestions

I don't even particularly like Trance, but I'd suggest the bits I do to someone else.

And if you're intent on converting him, would you not post tunes that are gateway tunes...that lead from people liking trance to liking house and techno?

Possibly the likes of:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm not into trance either, but I do think it’s absolutely incredible just how popular Armin Van Burren is. From what I can see he seems to be capturing a market of people who are not normally into electronic music, but get introduced to it from the his albums etc which seem to be commercially very popular – but they seem to get really really into it.

deadmau5 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

and that art of trance - swarm tune is decent enough alright, good call. went through my trance phase few years back, wouldnt really be my cup of tea now

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    deadmau5 anyone?

And boys noize. Ooooh lets have another discussion on the rise of electronic music in the mainstream

Advertisement