Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS220d - Engine Rebuild

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

lo all,

A mate of mine has completed a full engine rebuild on my Lexus. Unfortunately there is a noise when the car is revved to around 3500+ RPM there is a high pitched noise coming from the engine. He reckons it's a pipe between the turbo and the engine but we can't seem to track it down. He did try to replace a sensor in it (with a working one from another IS220d) but that wasn't it. I'm not sure which sensor it was to be honest.

I was just wondering if anyone has come across this before on a rebuild on a car like this?

Thanks,
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Could be a blown turbo,was the turbo replaced or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Why did it need to be rebuilt, they don't normally give engine trouble:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

@alo1587
    nah the turbo wasn't replaced. It was fine before the engine rebuild too.

@gofaster_s13
    I bought the car thinking the same thing, they don't give trouble like this, being lexus and all that.. However, apparently the is220d is a bit of a dirt box. A mechanic I know has done 2 engine rebuilds on IS220d's. Considering they aren't too common I'm fairly pi$$ed with Lexus.

Anyway, the reason the rebuild was done was because there was a massive oil leak around the timing chain there was a coolant leak too(water pump was replaced).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

check the 2 ten bolts between the exhaust manifold and egr cooler, if not that the 2 vac pipes may be wrong way round on the wastegate control valve on rocker cover, i have done many of these rebuilds for oil consumption and other things but the oil leak is just to take off from chain cover, with the right tools its not an engine out job, takes about 6 hours. I work at a lexus main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Nice one Padraic. I'll say it to my mate later on this evening. I'll let yous know how it goes.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement