Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Household Electricity Consumption?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Sorry if this is completely the wrong forum to ask this in. I didn't know where to ask it.

Can anyone tell me how much electricity the average house uses in a day/month/year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to be more specific, size of houses etc.
    It is a how long is a piece of string question without some details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You need to be more specific, size of houses etc.
    It is a how long is a piece of string question without some details.
    Fairly standard 3 bedroom house with 2 or 3 people living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Fairly standard 3 bedroom house with 2 or 3 people living in it.

cjhughey is correct as the usage of electricty in a household is dependent on a number of issues, say if space heating provided by electric energy. Is water heated. What levels of insulation do you have in walls, attic, windows, doors, floors etc.

The generation of electric energy is not very efficient in Ireland (about 40% plus transmission loss brings it down to near 30% - so for every unit you use, it has taken 3 units to produce). Electric energy is a very versitile energy source, but not very efficient when converted back to heat.

Very low usage of less than 10 units per day are good, but I have come across figures up in the 70's per day.

You would need to be a bit more specific as I suspect you have some specific reason for asking this question.

Advertisement