Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turbo fails. If I turn car on/off it returns. Could it be anything else? to fix $?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭

Two days ago I noticed I had a tiny bit of acceleration, no turbo.

Turn ignition on/off and all was fine.

Same thing yesterday, but it happened twice.

I added oil last week (def same type as when serviced) Its over due a service by about 4K.

I don’t think I added too much, (checked with the dip then) will double check today.

Could it be anything apart from Turbo?
    Is it very expensive if it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If the turbo is intermittantly failing, it's only going to get worse. Get it lifted to a garage as soon as you can, driving it like this could be catastrophic for the engine.

Just reread your OP, oil changes are vital for Turbo cars, neglecting them can fry your turbo. It's not good enough to top up the oil, oil and filter needs changing to schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The turbo is a purely mechanical component. It is not affected by switching the car on/off.

Your fault must lie with the electrics/electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

Audi a6 2003 Turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

MAF - the symptoms of a dodgy one is a sensation of no turbo when you accelerate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

worded wrote: »
    Audi a6 2003 Turbo

1.8T or 1.9Tdi?

If it's the 1.8T could also be the coils about to give up the ghost. Any engine light?

voxpop wrote: »
    MAF - the symptoms of a dodgy one is a sensation of no turbo when you accelerate.

Yes that sounds like it.
    If i then switch on and off its ok.

Mmmm

Will get it looked at.

No warning lights on dash.

Yeah the MAF (Mass Air Flow) is a sensor, so when its coming to the end of its life (they are generally considered a consumable) the sensor can partially fail - the car goes into limp mode and its like having no turbo. Turning the car off and on again can reset the error, though its only going to get worse. Replacements sensors are ~100 and are easy to fit.

Yeah the MAF (Mass Air Flow) is a sensor, so when its coming to the end of its life (they are generally considered a consumable) the sensor can partially fail - the car goes into limp mode and its like having no turbo. Turning the car off and on again can reset the error, though its only going to get worse. Replacements sensors are ~100 and are easy to fit.

Hopefully its only that so, please god.

• Advertisement

If its the MAF, is there a danger of messing up the engine or is it an inconvenience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

worded wrote: »
    If its the MAF, is there a danger of messing up the engine or is it an inconvenience?

Disconnect the maf and go for a drive, if the power is back it's your maf. Don't forget to reconnect it.

I don't think it's the maf myself, I recon it's turbo trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sounds like a split pipe or intercooler problem to me, the limp home is being reset when you restart the car.

Similar problem happened to me on my passat and it was a split pipe.

I very much doubt its the turbo itself, it either works or it doesn't.

BTW, letting your car go 4K overdue for a service is not a good idea, I service my 1.9TDI every 5K miles, nearly what yours is overdue by.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Sounds like a faulty boost solenoid,common problem on VW/Audi's.Not crazy money to fix if it is.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Sounds like a split pipe or intercooler problem to me, the limp home is being reset when you restart the car.

Similar problem happened to me on my passat and it was a split pipe.

I very much doubt its the turbo itself, it either works or it doesn't.

BTW, letting your car go 4K overdue for a service is not a good idea, I service my 1.9TDI every 5K miles, nearly what yours is overdue by.

Been advised its a leaking pipe.
    The cost is a big? They said they may need to keep it in overnight if a part is needed.

Planking as to the cost, they said they dont know whats hours/parts involved.
    Anyway its going in on Tues to be fixed.

Was half thinking of trading her in and not going through all this.

Leaking pipe is not going to be a big cost or take a long time to fix. Might take some time to find the leak perhaps, but otherwise its a quick job.

Edit: Im assuming the pipe in question is part of the boost / air system.

Leaking pipe is not going to be a big cost or take a long time to fix. Might take some time to find the leak perhaps, but otherwise its a quick job.

I just hope they dont make a big deal out of it is all. At mechanics mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I'd doubt it's a leaking pipe.More likely the sticking veins in the turbo,there is an actuator on these that make the veins spin faster as the need for more boost is needed,this can go faulty and cause the veins to stick.

Advertisement