Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring above someones property

Options
  • 11-12-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    Can someone advise me on the legality with regards running cable accross someone elses property.

The story behind this is that we have a shop and a store house which are seperate.
    Between the two is a plot of land which we do not own and also 2 sheds on this land (approx 6m high). Can I run a RG59 cable for CCTV overhead these two sheds without planning permission and if so what are the regulations.
    I have heard that once it is at least 1.2M above their roof line then we do not need their permission.
    I know that we should just ask them but they have already objected to the extension to the shop so we are not on speaking terms.

Any advise would be fantastic thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The short answer is you can't.

They own the airspace above their property. That rules about 1.2m doesn't exist.
    Is there another route to the store? How do you access it. Do you have to walk accross their land to get to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Irishcure

I was led to believe that once it's more than 1.2m above it free air space
    I am awaiting it in writing
    the acess is via another road which I can't run cable through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niamhs

You could always try wireless, remote cameras which can be accessed from their own individual IP address and then theres no need for cabling. It might be a bit more expensive to set up but will cut out the hassle with ones neighbour!

Thanks but wireless is not an option as there are four cameras and any more than 2 wireless is asking for trouble. Wish I could do it wireless would make my life so easy.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no reason you couldn't do it wireless. You aren't limited to 2 cameras

another option would be hard wire it to a PC and set it up so that you could log in remotely

• Advertisement

Mellor

thanks for the reply do u know which tranmitter you need for more than two cameras. I have spoken to many suppliers and not one sugggested putting more than two cameras on wireless.I don't want to put broadband into the store room for a pc to access remotely. If I have to go with broadband I will place a four or eight channel dvr in there connected to the router.

If u know of a multiple wireless transmission unit let me know about it please.

Cheers

Advertisement