Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renzo/Hughes confirmed for Abu Dhabi

Options
  • 11-12-2009 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10215&zoneid=13
    UFC president Dana White on Thursday revealed that Matt Hughes would make his next appearance in the Octagon in April. He hinted at Renzo Gracie as Hughes’ opponent, but didn’t outright confirm it.

“Sounds good to me,” he said of the proposed bout through a Cheshire grin.

Well, Hughes took care of the rest on his official Web site later in the day.

“I see that Dana has let the cat out of the bag. So I can tell you what I know, on April 10th I will be fighting Renzo Gracie in Abu Dhabi,” the former UFC welterweight champion wrote. “I haven’t signed any paperwork and I don’t think Renzo has either; but I think this fight is going to happen.”

He indicated that he would begin “serious training” at the New Year.

Not only does Hughes’ post firm up the bout with Gracie, who also talked about it in a recent Portuguese language interview, but it also firms up a date for the UFC’s debut in Abu Dhabi.

Gracie (13-6-1) hasn’t fought in nearly three years, but is on a three-fight streak that includes wins over Frank Shamrock, Pat Miletich, and Carlos Newton. Hughes (43-7) hasn’t fought since a May win over Matt Serra, who is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt under Gracie.

The fight is a prime example of bouts that have an intriguing story line, but don’t necessarily have title implications, something the UFC could use as it struggles to hold together headline bouts while the majority of its champions are injured or otherwise on the sidelines.

"Sometimes it's not about where’s the guy been. There's this whole beef about Renzo choking out Pat Miletich (Hughes’ friend and former trainer),” commented White. “Sometimes guys just want to fight, and Renzo's been training. He wants to fight Matt Hughes and Matt Hughes wants to fight him."

There’s a fight that Gracie would like to avenge, as well. Hughes defeated Renzo’s cousin, Royce, by TKO at UFC 60.

It’s not at all surprising that the bout would take place in Abu Dhabi. Renzo has served as the personal jiu-jitsu instructor to H.H. General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi. The Gracie family in general is very popular in Abu Dhabi due to its ties with the Sheikh and his family.

Interesting match and the UFC's first venture into the middle eastern market and their first show on Asian soil since Ultimate Japan 3.

For the craic I'll predict Renzo to win by guillotine:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Renzo by blubber choke rnd 1

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

Possible fight - sure & with renzos connections to abu dhabi it would make sense but where has this fight been confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 syncsyncboot

Two legends with big ass egos going at it!!! I get the feeling Dana will out do himself with hyperbole hyping up this fight though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Two legends with big ass egos going at it!!!

Unless the bout is going to be Hughes vs Dana [God I don't even think any arena could house those 2 massive egos in one space] You are absolutely dead wrong about Renzo having a big ego.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Unless the bout is going to be Hughes vs Dana [God I don't even think any arena could house those 2 massive egos in one space] You are absolutely dead wrong about Renzo having a big ego.

I dont say it lightly. The guy says he has won 1000 street fights and has been saying he could win any UFC title of he chose too.

Is Renzo an MMA legend - yep - he is a pioneer.
    Is Renzo a grappling legend - obviously.

and he has the ego that goes with it.

I've visited his gym in NYC...didnt see him...I respect him but he's got an ego....he's a Gracie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The guy says he has won 1000 street fights and has been saying he could win any UFC title of he chose too.

I've visited his gym in NYC...didnt see him...I respect him but he's got an ego....he's a Gracie.

That doesnt sound like renzo. You sure it wasnt one of the other gracies?

Do you have the video/transcript where he said this?

He probably could have won any ufc title back in the early 90s tbh. Jujitsu was still king and renzos jits is amazing.

That doesnt sound like renzo. You sure it wasnt one of the other gracies?

Do you have the video/transcript where he said this?

He probably could have won any ufc title back in the early 90s tbh. Jujitsu was still king and renzos jits is amazing.

Yikes... it was on a documentary I'll try root it out. I know I'm going to get abuse for insulting a Gracie...it was more aimed at the hype that Dana will put on it. He'll make out like its the second coming of Christ...albeit his brother...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The fight is a prime example of bouts that have an intriguing story line, but don’t necessarily have title implications, something the UFC could use as it struggles to hold together headline bouts while the majority of its champions are injured or otherwise on the sidelines
    Who's injured besides Brock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Two legends with big ass egos going at it!!! I get the feeling Dana will out do himself with hyperbole hyping up this fight though.....

You know nothing about Renzo Gracie. He is probably the only Gracie who doesn't have an ego. He has confidence, and that is not to be confused with an huge ego.

You vistied the gym. I trained there with him everyday when I lived in NYC. He has no ego whatsoever. One of the greatest guys you can train under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I dont say it lightly. The guy says he has won 1000 street fights and has been saying he could win any UFC title of he chose too.

Is Renzo an MMA legend - yep - he is a pioneer.
    Is Renzo a grappling legend - obviously.

Renzo has never said anything like that. He has not fought in street fights. I am 100% sure you are confusing him with his recently deceased brother Ryan.
    Yikes... it was on a documentary I'll try root it out. I know I'm going to get abuse for insulting a Gracie...it was more aimed at the hype that Dana will put on it. He'll make out like its the second coming of Christ...albeit his brother...

Renzo is not a brother of Royce, he is a cousin.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    You know nothing about Renzo Gracie. He is probably the only Gracie who doesn't have an ego. He has confidence, and that is not to be confused with an huge ego.

The above statement is my opinion, and the generally perceieved opinion about Renzo Gracie. Renzo is probably the only one of the Gracies to be a proper MMA fighter, ie with decent other skills as well as Jiu-Jitsu. He also is one of the best MMA coaches in the world. Serra and Almeida spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Seifer wrote: »
    Who's injured besides Brock?

GSP, Anderson and Machida have all had surgery in the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

i must agree that renzo is a very humble guy and i have never seen or heard him boast about this kind of record or what he could do to x or y fighter - now rickson and others have often taked about what they have done, invented records etc but renzo is one of the true gracies who has taken on fights and not picked them to build a brand - he , with the exception one of his fights in wcc fight has always shown nothing but class (and there was certain provocation for this)

i dont recall anything in a documentary where he came off as arrogant etc - the two that stick out woyuld be the mini doc on the smashing machine dvd or the renzo grace legacy dvd - but i cant recall anything like that

i am sure you are confusing him with another gracie - perhaps rickson, maybe ryan but of all the extended family, he must be the most humble and likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    You vistied the gym. I trained there with him everyday when I lived in NYC. He has no ego whatsoever. One of the greatest guys you can train under.
    You have no idea how much I hate you right now :pac:

You have no idea how much I hate you right now :pac:

LOL. As the youngsters would say "Don't be hatin'":D

Advertisement