Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before the Celtic Tiger...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yes because most people could afford a house :)

We didn't have SUV's. Jeeps and other monstrosities on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Was Ireland better off before the Celtic Tiger? :pac:

Yes because if the celtic tiger didnt happen then you'd not of afforded a personal computer hence this thread would not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

is this a nostalgia thread?

answer: in some ways yes
    in some ways no

conditions for pensioners etc improved, we had full employment, we all had 2nd homes in Bulgaria, Dubai or Shanghai (well some of us did)

and at the same time some of us developed very ugly natures, our society became very greedy, much more than can be good for a society

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The celtic tiger?

lol, good one.

There was never such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

imme wrote: »
    is this a nostalgia thread?

answer: in some ways yes
    in some ways no

conditions for pensioners etc improved, we had full employment, we all had 2nd homes in Bulgaria, Dubai or Shanghai (well some of us did)

and at the same time some of us developed very ugly natures, our society became very greedy, much more than can be good for a society

Before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

KungPao wrote: »
    Before
    the guy said "Was Ireland better off b4 the tiger"
    and I said yes & no
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The country went through a boom from about 1994-2000 with an influx of multinationals, that was the "celtic tiger", the economy slowed in 2001, but FF pushed the whole economy towards property development and investment, resulting in what everyone considers was the boom, but it was just a bubble.

So to answer you question, yes people and the country were in much better shape before the bubble.

Yes because if the celtic tiger didnt happen then you'd not of afforded a personal computer hence this thread would not exist.
    I had a 486 DX 2 66. 200mb hdd 4meg ram 1 speed CD Rom and paid nearly £1600 for the fu*ing thing. :eek:

No Boards but spent days on Doom 2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I remember being so excited as a kid getting a PC with a CD drive so I could use the CDs that came on the front of PC mags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Why must you start threads like this? Why???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Why must you start threads like this? Why???

Just to annoy the feck out of you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It's hard to say. How would Ireland be if the Celtic tiger hadn't happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oranage

Lets be honest, there would still be lefty Boardsies moaning about fine fail and threads still will be made about how fat Mary Harney is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Oranage wrote: »
    Lets be honest, there would still be lefty Boardsies moaning about fine fail and threads still will be made about how fat Mary Harney is.

She is pretty fat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Mary Harney is fat.

banquo wrote: »
    I remember being so excited as a kid getting a PC with a CD drive so I could use the CDs that came on the front of PC mags.
    Those mag CD's would drive me mad, the best game demos would require at least 8 megs of ram and 4 meg SVGA graphics :mad:

Advertisement