Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Ka

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Saw an ad for this in todays paper. With a scrappage deal, €8500. My father is thinking of getting rid of the old Yaris and was thinking about this. I think its abit of a looker. Alot better than the old Ka. It seems abit "cute" maybe. What you think?

FordKaNew1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Get it. Great handling, nice shape and Ford reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Is this based on a ford fiesta chassis, looks miles better then the old Ka...go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Have you driven one Confab...?Its GOT to be an inferior handler to the original Ka ,a car truly without dry handling limits in the control of any half sane driver...Reviews all say its a dull handler ...you reckon its not too bad ?I presume the turbo diesel is a little belter and cheap to run to boot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ytareh wrote: »
    Have you driven one Confab...?Its GOT to be an inferior handler to the original Ka ,a car truly without dry handling limits in the control of any half sane driver...Reviews all say its a dull handler ...you reckon its not too bad ?I presume the turbo diesel is a little belter and cheap to run to boot?

Sadly no I haven't driven it yet. It's based on the new Fiat 500 with a bit of suspension tweaking. The original Ka was a bit like a gokart, this one is more refined and is probably why some reviewers thought it was a dull handler.

'09 Ka Review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Yeah the missus had two Ka's back in the day and I was so blown away after my first drive I got a 1.7 Puma...the Ka handled BETTER unfttled by Traction Control...sure it could plough on in tight wet bends but on balance it was an astonishingly good handler...
    ....Alas they seemed to self destruct after barely 40k miles ,typical Ford ,I drove one with 45k miles up (three or four years old max) and it rattled and clunked around like a 15 year old car ...bushings and shocks all shot...Pathetic ...the Puma needed new shocks and starter BEFORE 40k miles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

ytareh wrote: »
    I presume the turbo diesel is a little belter and cheap to run to boot?

I doubt that. I reckon the fizzy 1.25 would suit it much better and that in terms of economics the petrol would be cheaper. On a car that size it nearly always is. Unless someone is brave enough to do 30k miles/annum in a Ka!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mondeo wrote: »
    Is this based on a ford fiesta chassis, looks miles better then the old Ka...go for it!

no, its not.

It *is* a Fiat Panda. Its built by Fiat in a Fiat factory on a Panda chassis with a Panda gearbox and Fiat engines. It has Ford designed suspension and the body, obviously. Even the dashboard is clearly out of a Panda!

However, the Panda is the most reliable car Fiat have ever built. Its got in to the top ten of the Top Gear reliability survey and Fiat provide it with a 5 year warranty - dunno what Ford do on the Ka though.

The publicity says "based on the 500", but thats because the 500 sounds sexier than the Panda - the 500 is also built on the Panda!

The 1242cc engine in it is not the Ford 1.25 that the Fiesta used to have, its the heavily modified Fiat FIRE 1.2 thats been around in various forms since the 1970s - now with the head gasket problem sorted.

Advertisement