Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Arts in Applied social studies/social care-questions!

Options
  • 10-12-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Very interested in studing Social care/social work. Have everything lined up to complete CAO and send off applications, just waiting to get a certified copy of Junior Cert results before i can go ahead. Anyway basically my question is this ;

I am wondering what the difference is in BA in 'applied social studies/social care' and just BA in social studies/care? I ask this because i have my choices lined up;
    1)Trinity-Social care Practise (social work)
    2)D.I.T- Social care level 8
    3)Tallaght I.T- Hons Bachelor Degree of Arts in Social care Practise
    and obviously number 4 is Blanchardstown I.T -B.A in Applied social studies in social care.

Im just finding all the different course titles confusing as they are all pretty much teaching the same thing with the same end result/goal, or are they not? What is the difference if it is 'Applied' or not? Is it something to do with the 'Applied' only being Level 7, whereas the others are taught at Level 8?

So if anyone can help me out here it would be much appreciated!

P.S-The reason i listed my choices above is so that anyone reading the post could get a feel for why i am confused with all the different course titles, but as i said its mainly the 'applied' thing thats p-ing me off!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dark diamond

Going to Trinity will qualify to be a social worker, working on behalf of vunerable people, the other courses allows you to become a social care practitioner, working directly with service users on a daily basis. Social work and social care are quite differernt professions. Applied social care, Level 7 ordinary degree & level 8 Higher Degree, D.I.T. Tallaght Blanchardstown are all pretty much the same in my opinion. I studied in Blanc when the course was new and enjoyed every minute of it. Some students then went on to D.I.T to do 4th year and said we had covered most of the course in blanch. Be carefull that it is social work you want to do and not social care. Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

:DDark Diamond,
    thanks, that was really helpful,you have cleared that up for me anyway! To be honest i would like to do the job with a more hands on approach..which im presuming from what you say , would be a social care practicioner's role... so i guess il be going for the social care course as choice 1-D.i.t social care level 8! But the course title for the trinty course is ; Social Care Practise (social work) so im guessing that basically combines the two? I think im still going to have the trinity course as choice 1 and DIT as 2...

The course you did in blanch sounds like it was good then, i was wondering about it as i couldnt find anyone who had done it.. so thats great-im even happier to have that as a choice now!

BTW, There is a mature student Advisory evening in D.I.T on Tuesday 12th Jan, so im going to go along to that as id say it will be good.

Are you practising now or continiuing with studies?

Thanks for posting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I am currently working as a social care worker and would advise you to do extensive research before beginning this course.

I definatly think you should go and do "social science" as apposed to "Social studies"

Try and talk to some scw who are working in the area first ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Oh i have, i was just relly wondering about the 'Applied' part. Im going to stick to the choices i have already lined up-there are so many different jobs and opportunities that a Social Care or Social work degree opens up. I have been researching this for the past year (I had o apply as a mature student as i hadnt done my leaving, and i wanted to apply last year but my birthday fell too late in the year for the mature student rule - must be 23 by Jan of year of course, so i had to wait till this year!)

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement