Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jewish diaries.

Options
  • 10-12-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

can anyone recommend any good jewish diaries to read that are from survivors of the holocaust or troubles of world war two. obviously have the anne frank diary but i know there are more but want to know peoples suggestions bout what other world war two literature is good??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I read Primo Levi's If This Is Man last week and it was the best book I've read this yr. It's an account of his time in a Polish Work camp and his return after the war to Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Does it cover up until he started making jeans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

drewbedo wrote: »
    but want to know peoples suggestions bout what other world war two literature is good??

Read Escape from Sobibor,its a great book.

TRUE story about a Jewish revolt in a concentration camp.
    On October 14, 1943, members of the Sobibor underground, led by Polish-Jewish prisoner Leon Feldhendler and Soviet POW Alexander "Sasha" Pechersky, succeeded in covertly killing eleven German SS officers and a number of camp guards. Although their plan was to kill all the SS and walk calmly out of the main gate of the camp, the killings were quickly discovered and the inmates had to run for their lives under heavy machine gun fire from guards.
    http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Sobibor-Richard-Rashke/dp/0252064798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260909253&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I read a book called I was Doctor Mengele's Assistant by Miklos Nyiszli earlier this year. Fairly harrowing stuff but definitely think it's one to read. It gives a good insight in to the horrific conditions in Auschwitz.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=i+was+doctor+mengele%27s+assistant&sprefix=i+was+doctor+m

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Victor E. Frankl's book "Man's search for meaning" gives first-hand account of life in a nazi concentration camp. Frankl was born to a Jewish family and he was a neurologist and psychiatrist. He focuses not just on the conditions of the camp and the harsh life he had in the camp, but also on how one could possibly have a strong will to live at the same time and be mentally resilient. Excellent book in my opinion.

As it happened, the next book I read after "Man's search for meaning" was "The boy in the striped pyjamas" by John Boyne, which is written from the point of view of a young boy who is the son of a nazi officer in charge of a concentration camp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Helen Lewis who resided in Northern Ireland and died recently wrote of her experiences. It is titled 'A Time to Speak'

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/survivor-of-auschwitz-death-camp-helen-lewis-dies-at-93-14619241.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Read Escape from Sobibor,its a great book.

Just to let you know,i did'nt realise how upsetting this book can be for some people.
    I lent this book to a girl in work last week,she gave it back to me half read because she said it was affecting her sleep and giving her nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wizzywig1234

Hello drewbedo, Please contact me by PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

May not be what you are looking for but fantastic cartoon trilogy called MAUS by Art Speigelman.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I read a book called I was Doctor Mengele's Assistant by Miklos Nyiszli earlier this year. Fairly harrowing stuff but definitely think it's one to read. It gives a good insight in to the horrific conditions in Auschwitz.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=i+was+doctor+mengele%27s+assistant&sprefix=i+was+doctor+m

That is one of the best ones indeed. Riveting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

On a side issue, but relevent to the thread, is the survivers accounts from the Lety concentration camp in Bohemia, a camp for Romany gypsies.

The camp was brought to public attention by the writer Paul Polansky whose family came from the area prior to settling in Iowa in the 1800's.

His book Black Silence I had the priviledge of republishing this year (free download here) is available in print as are some copies of the origional print.

www.BlackSilence.info - the website for the book reprint

promo_8218018.jpg
    Black Silence
    Black Silence (book)

Print: €18.32
    Download: FREE
    The story of the gypsy detainees at Lety concentration camp, where the entire Bohemian tribes were exterminated by the Nazi regime during World War II. Except, at this camp no Germans worked. Only Czechs.

page_white_put.png?20100819173234Download for Free

========================================

The Maria Lazum story is retold in my poem below:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

The Diary of Ruthka Laskier - saw a documentary about her but have not yet read the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutka_Laskier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

May not be what you are looking for but fantastic cartoon trilogy called MAUS by Art Speigelman.

+1 on this but, er, it's not a trilogy; it's in two parts.

What it is is a warts-and-all graphic memoir of Spiegelman's father, who was an Auschwitz survivor. I haven't seen anything else on the Holocaust that's been this intimate (though I admit I'm not widely-read on the subject). It depicts different races as different animals - Jews are mice; Nazis are cats, etc. - and in doing so makes them weirdly more human. They created a special category of the Pulitzer prize in the year of its release so they could recognise what it achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wizzywig1234

Hello drewbedo,

Please contact me by PM on this board, or e-mail me at WizzyWig1234@yahoo.com.

Respectful Regards,

Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Advertisement