Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

santa fe

Options
  • 10-12-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a 07 new model santa fe commercil , anyone any experience of these comfort,fuel consumption etc .Also what should i expect to pay . Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're very good on fuel. know a guy who was getting 40mpg.

Things to look out for are balljoints, suspension bushings, air conditioning pump, and noisy injectors.

Some early commercials were 2WD, but pretty much all of them are 4WD with manual air conditioning instead of climate control.
    Standard spec has cruise control, lumbar support, heated elec mirrors, CD player, and many have bluetooth built into the radio. Very comfy cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i think they have a full time 4wd system with no low ratio so wouldnt be much good for towing trailers or on soft ground.
    depends on what you will be using it for.

No low ratio box,
    4X4 splits torque automatically between front and back, but you can lock the 4X4 50:50 via a switch on the dash.
    They're quite good to tow, as long as you're not towing a mini digger across a field or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks all would not be using it to tow any big weights . Have seen some 07s for about 12/13k seems good value to me, my only worry would be that their resale value might be poor.

The initial purchase price was low to start with. Even as a percentage they've held up better than Pajeros, Land Cruisers or Discos. Consider the actual loss on a €40k machine from new over 2 years. The Santa Fe was less than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭djb85

k mac.... did you go for the Santa Fe after?

Am thinking of getting the new model commercial and just wondering how the fuel consumption is?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

djb85 wrote: »
    k mac.... did you go for the Santa Fe after?

Am thinking of getting the new model commercial and just wondering how the fuel consumption is?
    Did not go for 1 yet djb was talkin to a lad that has one and he said fuel consumption was good but it was very uncomfortable, that it would shake the bones of you so it is puttin me off although some say this is the case with most jeeps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

the case with most jeeps

That is true, they all compromise comfort to a degree, many are diabolical. I'd have thought that compared to some the Santa Fe can't be that bad, popular on the school run round here anyway :rolleyes:

Only way to have total comfort and 4wd is to get real spendy on a Range Rover or other luxury air sprung 4x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭djb85

A dealer mentioned to me the fuel consump would be in and around 30mpg. Doesn't seem great for a commercial 2.2 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Thats worse than the 2.0ltr version.Old fella has an 06 and it's around 34 on normal journeys,and funnily enough gets better when you put a trailer on,around 36 to 38. But jesus 30mpg is down near impreza territory:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

there is another fairly big problem with the santa fe its a Hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have a kia sorento but my da has a santa fe, (had one in 07 and bought a new one in 09) and i have to say despite my kia being on a ladder frame its more comfortable to drive than his santa fe, especially over bumpy country roads, the old santa fe design is horrible and i can assume were only looking at the late 06 onwards model,

there fairly reliable and get fairly decent fuel consumption , i dont find them that well in the world of acceleration or towing capacity though, i can put a tonne of gravel in a trailor on my kia and i wont notice it in the revs at all (automatic gearbox) but do the same to the santa fe (also automatic) and its quite noticable and the car does get sluggish

overall its fine as a 4x4 that will never go off road , if your just using it for city driving go and pick up one in the uk, youll save a bit on irish prices and normally you can get the full spec (leather, cd changer, climate etc...) there cheaper than the poverty spec here.

but if you want something to tow or go offroad or drive round mountains and country roads all day i have a few words for you , landcruiser, sorento, pajero, discovery

there is another fairly big problem with the santa fe its a Hyundai

What's your point exactly? The Santa Fe is a fine machine and has better road manners and equipment than the old favourites like the LC or Pajero. They're not as capable off road or for towing but they're better to drive, faster and lighter on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mullers

where is the best place to look for a santa fe commercial from the UK on the net ?? have tried autotrader but there is very few commercials on it.

you're looking at buying a passenger model and getting it converted. VRT is €50.
    Factor in the cost of the conversion too.

Prices of commercial jeeps in this country are good at the moment, the main advantage you'll have is the possibility of a higher spec (leather, sunroof etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mullers

any idea how much it costs to convert something like a santa fe to a commercial and who would do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you're looking at buying a passenger model and getting it converted. VRT is €50.
    Factor in the cost of the conversion too.

Prices of commercial jeeps in this country are good at the moment, the main advantage you'll have is the possibility of a higher spec (leather, sunroof etc)

wouldnt be so sure about the vrt if its not over a certain weight. swb base cruiser doesnt qualify but lwb does so i doubt it if santa fe would 13% of open market selling price id say

I converted my Shogun to commercial there, materials cost me about €200. don't know how much places charge for that kind of thing, I'm guessing about €1000.

There are a whole heap of regulations and requirements to meet, so it's not an ideal DIY job.

Advertisement