Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI Dental Treatment Benefit Scheme

Options
  • 10-12-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

They have also done away with the Dental benefit apart from the free examination.

No more money back on treatments. This is a disgrace and is going to lead to a huge decline in dental health in this country.
    Treatment Benefits
    In 2010, the entitlements under the Treatment Benefit Scheme will be limited to the Medical and Surgical appliances scheme and the free examination elements of the Dental and Optical Benefit schemes.

That's from this page
    http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2010/Summary.aspx#SocialWelfare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I thought he said it was only a temp measure and should be re-introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

ntlbell wrote: »
    I thought he said it was only a temp measure and should be re-introduced?

Where did he say that? Although it does say in that it is for 2010. I have work scheduled for the 4th Jan. Will have to move this forward as I don't have the money to pay for the full cost.

It really is petty. Estimated savings are only €58m. They take in billions through PRSI. What will we be paying PRSI for? We won't get any benefit while this cut remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Wheety wrote: »
    Where did he say that? Although it does say in that it is for 2010. I have work scheduled for the 4th Jan. Will have to move this forward as I don't have the money to pay for the full cost.

It really is petty. Estimated savings are only €58m. They take in billions through PRSI. What will we be paying PRSI for? We won't get any benefit while this cut remains.

he said this morning on Pat kenny it was only a temp measure.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, don't shoot the messenger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

It is definitely suspended for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 less_than_b

I cant believe this my boyfriend needed serious amount of work done on his teeth and went to a butcher of a dentist who just drilled and pulled teeth left right and center and has loads of work left to be don't some to fix the work this dentist did and now when the dentist are nearly all fully booked for the next few weeks we discover that now the government wont cover his further dental work, we are both on social welfare and can not afford the insane price of dental work in this country, now what is he supposed to do his teeth are in serious need of work he suffers from serious pain and has huge gaps where he is basically unable to chew, What does the government expect him to do when all his teeth fall out and then he defo wont get a job because of his gummed appearance! ok i know im ranting but this is ridiculous like most of his trouble is caused by a bad dentist and he is only 22!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

I cant believe this my boyfriend needed serious amount of work done on his teeth and went to a butcher of a dentist who just drilled and pulled teeth left right and center and has loads of work left to be don't some to fix the work this dentist did and now when the dentist are nearly all fully booked for the next few weeks we discover that now the government wont cover his further dental work, we are both on social welfare and can not afford the insane price of dental work in this country, now what is he supposed to do his teeth are in serious need of work he suffers from serious pain and has huge gaps where he is basically unable to chew, What does the government expect him to do when all his teeth fall out and then he defo wont get a job because of his gummed appearance! ok i know im ranting but this is ridiculous like most of his trouble is caused by a bad dentist and he is only 22!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up on Irish dentists ages ago. From my own experience and from people that I talk to it seems that many of them are very incompetent and they charge crazy prices. In addition, I am self-employed and pay a different rate of PRSI (you don't get to choose which kind you pay) and so have never been entitled to any dental cover.
    The answer is TO GO TO NEWRY. If you send me a message I'll give you the phone number of the fantastic dentist I go to there. Standard cleaning used to cost me 125 euros in Dublin, and now I pay 25 pounds in Newry.
    The people who are supposed to be running this country are so stupid I sometimes can't believe it. Didn't they see that cancelling PRSI dental cover will just send everybody to Newry? And then they say we're not patriotic. Well, they can stuff it. I'll take my custom wherever I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,185 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

we are both on social welfare and can not afford the insane price of dental work in this country

Just as well you get your doctor's bills for free then, isn't it?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ninja900 wrote: »
    Just as well you get your doctor's bills for free then, isn't it?

Are you suggesting that those who cannot afford medical care should be left out of the system altogether? Is it not bad enough that PRSI payments cannot even be used to supplement the cost of dental care?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For all posters who have work started in 2009 and due to continue in 2010, you are in luck. The Dept have written to all dentists asking them for details as mentioned. Check with your dentist to make sure you are on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Are you suggesting that those who cannot afford medical care should be left out of the system altogether? Is it not bad enough that PRSI payments cannot even be used to supplement the cost of dental care?

No one should be left out in the cold.

However there is many a PRSI payer who cannot even afford to go to a GP because they have never fallen under the PRSI schemes.

The average GP visit rate for a medical card recipient is about a dozen a year,
    Non-medical card user it’s about 2-3 per year.

Count your blessings while you have them and don’t forget those who pay for the privileges you enjoy.

....... but anyway, perhaps the government can compensate for the loss of dental cover by saturating our water with more poisonous Fluoride!!
    And I agree with the previous posters regarding the competence of our dental industry.
    I think I have my first cavity coming along & I can guarantee it will be filled in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The answer is TO GO TO NEWRY. If you send me a message I'll give you the phone number of the fantastic dentist I go to there. Standard cleaning used to cost me 125 euros in Dublin, and now I pay 25 pounds in Newry.

I'm sure it's possible to get cleanings for around €30 - €40 from Irish dentists. It's just some are in the practice of ripping people off.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

I think we should get on to SIPTU in Dublin to organise a bus to Newry like their counterparts in Sligo. We can all do loads of shopping to p$&& off Brian Lenihan and get our own back on rip off dentists at the same time - Double Whammy - What!

Stark wrote: »
    I'm sure it's possible to get cleanings for around €30 - €40 from Irish dentists. It's just some are in the practice of ripping people off.

I'd be very interested if you could find one (that can be trusted not to push unnecessary treatment on you so they can make money out of it). I've been told that the Anne Lane Clinic off Grafton Street are very good. Their website says a standard check up and cleaning is 95 euros.

Stark wrote: »

I went to the dentist in Newry yesterday as a large lump broke off one of my back teeth last weekend.
    I had a huge reconstructive filling - the kind that have to be done with a band put round the tooth, and it came to 60 pounds. He said that as the cavity is so near to the nerve the filling might not work and then I'll have to get a root canal, which costs 150 pounds. In Dublin root canals are at least 400 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I found out about this from my mam. I would have been eligable (without the hassle of sorting out college credits) from the first Monday in January. I've written emails to all my local TD's and Brian Lenihan & Brian Cowen about what a disgrace I think this is. While my local TD's were helpful and supportive, I'm rather suspicious about the email I got back from Brian Lenihan. It was sent just as it was announced he was in hospital...hmmm.

Anyway talked to the lovely people in Social Welfare & they said that if I can get the dentist to date the D1 form in December & sign off & send it in then I might be covered. It's a lot of hassle & I had to try and get an appointment for today as I need fillings & the difference between going private & PRSI is just massive.

I found out about this from my mam. I would have been eligable (without the hassle of sorting out college credits) from the first Monday in January. I've written emails to all my local TD's and Brian Lenihan & Brian Cowen about what a disgrace I think this is.

I agree entirely that this is a disgrace. This is not a welfare handout, it is something that people PAY considerable amounts of money for.

When you write to TDs and other vegetables, please don't forget to say that you won't hesitate to take your custom to the North (and do a nice bit of shopping at the same time). That way, they might realise how stupid they've been (some hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I agree entirely that this is a disgrace. This is not a welfare handout, it is something that people PAY considerable amounts of money for.

When you write to TDs and other vegetables, please don't forget to say that you won't hesitate to take your custom to the North (and do a nice bit of shopping at the same time). That way, they might realise how stupid they've been (some hope).

I didn't forget that at all. Also put in how much I've claimed in my 24 years from the state which isn't a lot at all.

I'm not taking my custom up North for the simple fact that I have a fear of dentists & the one I'm with here is really good at helping me deal. It's the only reason I'm staying. Also had to tell them that I will have to pay €4,000 in the near future for dental surgery which I might not get the tax back on. There's a lot of work involved over a long period so would cost me much more going up to the North.

I've heard back from most of them - one of my TD's told me he completely agreed with me & had voted against it, another said that he had made representations on my behalf to Mary Hanafin.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

update here and looks like if you register work to be done now you can get it treated next year.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxpayers-told-time-is-running-out-for-claiming-free-dental-care-1980636.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gus99

Went for teeth-cleaning today, and was told that because some plaque was under the gum ie harder to get at, I would need to come back a 2nd time, and this would not be covered under PRSI (regardless of the Indo article). I am going to be charged € 85 for this.:mad: Dental industry really is a licence to print money, the fees need to be tackled by government.

• Advertisement

I am self-employed and pay a different rate of PRSI (you don't get to choose which kind you pay) and so have never been entitled to any dental cover.
    The answer is TO GO TO NEWRY. .

Newry - the only town in NI where dentists operate from?

Anyhow - sh*t like this would really make you wonder what the hell PRSI is for.

Newry - the only town in NI where dentists operate from?

Anyhow - sh*t like this would really make you wonder what the hell PRSI is for.
    Indeed.
    Of course Newry isn't the only town in NI with dentists. It's just the nearest one to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

since I have been payinf prsi for 20+ years If I need some dental work next year could I argue "reasonable expection" that the state would pay as that was what my prsi contributions were ? After all if sitting TDs can argeu this for no salary decreases or changes to their pension agreement can a regular tax payer not argue the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Gus99 wrote: »
    Went for teeth-cleaning today, and was told that because some plaque was under the gum ie harder to get at, I would need to come back a 2nd time, and this would not be covered under PRSI (regardless of the Indo article). I am going to be charged € 85 for this.

I suppose everytime you went to brush your teeth the government came along and held a gun up to you and forced you to let your teeth get so bad you would need such dental treatment?
    Gus99 wrote: »
    Dental industry really is a licence to print money, the fees need to be tackled by government.

Why? It costs a lot of money to run a dental practice, and it takes a lot of intelligence and education to become a dentist. If you dont feel the fees are worth it dont go, because no ones forcing you to. Or heres a radical idea: train yourself as a dentist and offer lower prices. See how long you can survive.

But wait - this is politics, where taking a proactive approach is out of style. Better to get the Government to enforce ones ideas on different sectors of society.

Why? It costs a lot of money to run a dental practice, and it takes a lot of intelligence and education to become a dentist. If you dont feel the fees are worth it dont go, because no ones forcing you to. Or heres a radical idea: train yourself as a dentist and offer lower prices. See how long you can survive.

Are you a dentist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HoldenDanger

Twenty-two? At such a young age would it not be more likely that such extensive problems have been caused by self neglect rather than the damage caused by one dentist?

Indeed.
    Of course Newry isn't the only town in NI with dentists. It's just the nearest one to Dublin.

I'd never have guessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

moceri wrote: »
    It is definitely suspended for 2010.

And will probably be abolished in 2111 on the grounds that very few people got dental work done in 2010. It won't be mentioned that with the suspension of the scheme, no one could afford to get their teeth seen to

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The average GP visit rate for a medical card recipient is about a dozen a year,
    Non-medical card user it’s about 2-3 per year.

Eh, source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gus99

Why? It costs a lot of money to run a dental practice, and it takes a lot of intelligence and education to become a dentist. If you dont feel the fees are worth it dont go, because no ones forcing you to..
    Thanks for this helpful and constructive suggestion, obviously people shouldnt go the doctor also if they think the fees are very high :rolleyes:
    Or heres a radical idea: train yourself as a dentist and offer lower prices. See how long you can survive..
    I guess I can't have an opinion on (eg) politician expenses, solicitor fees, garda allowances etc as the answer is simply that I should have become a politician, solicitor, garda
    But wait - this is politics, where taking a proactive approach is out of style. Better to get the Government to enforce ones ideas on different sectors of society.
    Prices are coming down in most sections of society, but little evidence among professionals services such as doctors, dentists, solicitors etc. Sometimes the market needs a helping hand

Advertisement