Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 10-12-2009 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭

Family member failed the NCT on something to do with his rear drivers side wheel (dunno details). It is not a visual, so it will have to go for a re-test.

Question: in the re-test, does the car go through the whole NCT lane again, incl. emissions, etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

unkel wrote: »
    Family member failed the NCT on something to do with his rear drivers side wheel (dunno details). It is not a visual, so it will have to go for a re-test.

Question: in the re-test, does the car go through the whole NCT lane again, incl. emissions, etc.?

Yes it will need a full re-test which means €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Vanbis wrote: »
    I thought a 'visual' meant it can be checked without going up on a lift/machine. Otherwise the full fee applies but I think they only recheck the relevant part.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's not a visual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

I think they only recheck the relevant part.

If you get it back in before a ceartin time period you get money off for the retest.And as above they should only recheck what it failed on

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

As far as i know they only recheck the part if you return within 30 days.
    Cost is €25
    Leave it longer than 30 days and it's a full retest and €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If he gets the retest done on time then they will only inspect the item that failed. However this may involve testing a few related things as well eg if the car needed a ball joint replaced in the front suspension, the part itself would be inspected and the wheel alignment would be checked in the retest. Even if the alignment passed first time around. It will say on the fail sheet what needs to be done in the retest eg
    Reason for fail: nearside ball joint
    Repeat side slip test

They certainly would not check the emissions again in such an instance

But if the NCT tester sees an obvious/dangerous additional fault while conducting a retest, AFAIK the car can fail for that even if it passed originally. I think this is rare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bookerboy wrote: »
    As far as i know they only recheck the part if you return within 30 days.
    Cost is €25
    Leave it longer than 30 days and it's a full retest and €50

It cost me €28, and they only re test on what you failed on. After that, it depends on the details of what it failed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

unkel wrote: »

OP it will tell you on the fail sheet whether its a visual or an equipment retest...

At the very bottom right hand of the white sheet, there will be a re-test amount, (it was 27.50 up until recently), if there is a figure of zero Euro there, than that means it is a free retest, which is a visual.

Once you fail, you have to go for a "re-test" within 28 days. It can be a visual retest (free) or an equipment retest (was 27.50 up until recently), depending on the defect and they do not check items that have already passed. If you don't get the retest done within the 28 day window, then you are back into a full test again...

Check the bottom of the sheet to see which one you have to do,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Vanbis wrote: »
    Sorry, you are wrong.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement