Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervising Engineer

Options
  • 10-12-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hi all, maybe this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but I was curious as to how much I could expect to pay for a supervising engineer on our self build project.
    A general scope of responsibility would be:
    1. Sizing and sign off on structural design, e.g. steel beams supporting precast concrete floors, etc.
    2. Supervision on-site. (I haven't a clue how many visits would be appropriate)
    3. Sign-off for bank to release money to pay contractors.

Any help is, as always, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

About €2,000-€3,000 depending on the amount of elemental design, and remember stage visit supervision is not unconditional sign off as covered works between visits can not be accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

it also depends where you are, its cheaper that that here in the west!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Our engineer is costing us €1800 (for 5 visits/stage payments). He approved the steel beams and concrete floor measurements but these were designed by the builder and the various suppliers.

However when you say supervision on-site, are you looking for a project manager or someone to visit the site every couple of days. If so you cen expect to pay an awful lot more for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Our engineer is costing us €1800 (for 5 visits/stage payments). He approved the steel beams and concrete floor measurements but these were designed by the builder and the various suppliers.

However when you say supervision on-site, are you looking for a project manager or someone to visit the site every couple of days. If so you cen expect to pay an awful lot more for the service.

I'll be doing something along your lines, in that the floor supplier has thrown in their tuppence worth, in conjunction with the architect, which leaves it to be approved by an engineer (who will also need to size the RSJ's and so on).
    I'm not looking for a project manager, just someone to visit a few times and give the nod/highlight any issues as appropriate.
    Thanks for the input, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Bitten, the problem is that engineer works out about 300e visit to sign off. He is not supervising the build on a weekly visit. I just want to make myself clear. I think you want o more hands mm service which will obviously be much more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Yeah, I know exactly what you're getting at and I relaise that the cost will increase with increased site presence. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

I'm starting my build in Feb, my engineer quoted €2'200 plus vat, that gives me:

Set out site & foundations and level,
    5 site visits to inspect and sign for payments,
    Sign off for PP 7 Build Regs compliance,
    Snag list,
    Advise on related matters.

Any extra visits required are at a call out fee of €85, plus €55 per hour on site. Seems to be an average cost, from what i can see.

Advertisement