Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Millward's 'ways to improve RL"......

Options
  • 10-12-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Excellent piece by Ian Millward in this weeks "League Weekly", where he puts forward some suggestions on possible trial rules for the game. These include;

The 'Double' Try;

An idea being championed by Wayne Bennett where, after a team scores a try, they can either kick the usual conversion for two points or take an extra play from the 10 yard line to try and score another four pointer. Millward reckons you could also consider letting the scoring team have another set of six from the halfway line.

Tries from kicks;

Make them worth three points, to mitigate against the large number of tries coming from high cross field kicks.

The 20 Metre Return;

Receive the ball in your own 20, either a kick return or a scrum, and get the ball into the opposition's 20, without kicking, you get another set of 4 or even six tackles.

The Clock;

Stop it as soon as a try is scored.

Player Numbers;

Teams should revert back to wearing the correct number for the correct position on their back....totally agree with this one, a huge bugbear of mine..spectators, especially those new to the game, need to be able to get to grips with the specific positions...

Some very interesting points, any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

toomevara wrote: »
    The 'Double' Try;

Tries from kicks;

The 20 Metre Return;

The Clock;

Player Numbers;

Don't like the double try idea.

I quite like some of the tries from cross-field kicks. Plus the threat of a kick can open a defence enough to stop a kick being necessary.

Like that idea if it could be implemented easily.

Definitely, tries seem to be the only real area that time is wasted in RL, would be nice to eliminate it.

Definitely. I still have only a very vague idea of different positions and roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

amacachi wrote: »
    Definitely. I still have only a very vague idea of different positions and roles.

This won't do! Check this out;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/rules_and_equipment/default.stm

All the positions discussed in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd like most of the suggestions, not too keen on the 3 points from a try resulting from a cross field kick, etc ... I love those tries.

For sure on the player numbers ... always played No. 5 myself back in the day (when god was a boy) and still can't get my head around a no. 5 in any code not being on the left wing ... at least the no. 5 is always on the left side of a dart board :p

The 20 metre return sounds to complicated for me to understand this late in the day, will consider it after a night's sleep.

Crikey I'm missing the footy at the moment

toomevara wrote: »
    This won't do! Check this out;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/rules_and_equipment/default.stm

All the positions discussed in depth.
    Nice few extra little bits there. I suppose what I mean is that when watching I often find it hard to follow/notice individual players over a decent length of time. Or I don't spot patterns of play from individual players often unless they're doing a helluva a lot or very little. I suppose poor Sky Commentary and the person with the remote not able to go more than a set of six without changing channel may contribute to it as well. :pac:
    Love the reference to second rowers being important in the scrum. :pac:

old gregg wrote: »
    I'd like most of the suggestions, not too keen on the 3 points from a try resulting from a cross field kick, etc ... I love those tries.

For sure on the player numbers ... always played No. 5 myself back in the day (when god was a boy) and still can't get my head around a no. 5 in any code not being on the left wing ... at least the no. 5 is always on the left side of a dart board :p

The 20 metre return sounds to complicated for me to understand this late in the day, will consider it after a night's sleep.

I agree about the cross-field kicks. It is football after all. :pac:

Really missed having some League to watch last week, long coupla months ahead. :(

• Advertisement

QF bloody T! Roll on 2010......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What exactly is wrong with the game to warrant a change though? Mean the only thing id ever have a gripe with is the amount of cross field kicks resulting in tries but then again the standard of such kicks has improved to the point where it's a joy to watch to see a player leap into the sky and pluck the ball out of the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Stev_o wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with the game to warrant a change though? Mean the only thing id ever have a gripe with is the amount of cross field kicks resulting in tries but then again the standard of such kicks has improved to the point where it's a joy to watch to see a player leap into the sky and pluck the ball out of the air.

I agree, if ain't broke don't fix it! The only point I do agree with - stopping the clock as soon as a try is scored - is a non-playing issue.

Can't complain about tries coming from cross field kicks as Wakey probably score more tries than another team from kicks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Stopping the clocks is a good idea. Anything to make the games last longer :p.
    While we're at it, why bother with 'seasons' anyway, let's have RL available at all times .... My name is Michael and I'm a footyaholic

Stopping the clocks is a good idea. Anything to make the games last longer :p.
    While we're at it, why bother with 'seasons' anyway, let's have RL available at all times .... My name is Michael and I'm a footyaholic

13 players on the pitch per team at any one time from a panel of 50 with unlimited substitutions. Games last one week. That's what I'd do. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Only 2 weeks till the start of the 'friendly' (:D no game in RL is ever friendly;)) matches and 7 weeks till the season kicks-off:)

What about you Toomevara, are there any ideas you'd have for improving the game? I think it's perfect as it is. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    What about you Toomevara, are there any ideas you'd have for improving the game? I think it's perfect as it is. :pac:

Sorry missed this one amacachi, would have got back to you sooner.In a word 'no', RL is,for me, in its current form, the most perfect field sport ever devised. It is virtually flawless....I'd go with the numbering suggestion though....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dont like the idea of any of those changes.

Advertisement