Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freestyling

Options
  • 10-12-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Freestyling - :noun:1. To spit hot fire off the top of your head

Can you freestyle? If you can spit out a few bars at let it be known. I was just curious how big it was in ireland. Planning on moving there soon enough , and Ive made 3 albums and toured the crap out of the US and canada , so I want to know how big freestyling is over there or if its all written down first. Real rappers dont write.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

not very popular, there are a few guys who try to make money out of it on the street, there are a few urban events put together a year where battles spring up. I remember the days where during gigs people would get up out of the crowd and spit. But haven't seen that in a while.

Anywhere we can listen to your stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fishypancake

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    not very popular, there are a few guys who try to make money out of it on the street, there are a few urban events put together a year where battles spring up. I remember the days where during gigs people would get up out of the crowd and spit. But haven't seen that in a while.

Anywhere we can listen to your stuff?

Thats really weird , its reversed here. Then again , this is the birthplace of rap...well not Pennsylvainia , but the USA . You can find at least 10 people who can keep up if you stand on the corner for about 30 minutes.

www.myspace.com/hardcoreclownpenis .... all the good urls are taken. Some of its stupid , or I was biligerant, fight me drunk , but nothing I wouldnt rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

after quickly listening to your stuff - you would like roysta....

irish rapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

You're more than welcome to drop down to a drum & bass night once you get here

;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You're more than welcome to drop down to a drum & bass night once you get here

;)
    have you been to the Hertz U nights at all? I'm sure the organisers of that would welcome more MC's. I think my buddy Nick Fury organises them or at least has something to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There are a handful of people I would say can freestyle pretty nicely. Mickey Gatch, Lyrical Demon, Ophelia, Raggaman Bob etc. There's a discussion about it on the irishhiphop.com forum at the moment actually. L Demon was on TV a couple of days ago rapping after a political program. :D
    http://www.irishhiphop.com/forum/read.php?15,590432

Freestyling isn't easy. I think that rap in Ireland is still somewhat early in development so we're not seeing a huge glut of freestyle talent yet. Plus if we rap about guns or hoes or anything like that we get laughed out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

There are a handful of people I would say can freestyle pretty nicely. Mickey Gatch, Lyrical Demon, Ophelia, Raggaman Bob etc. There's a discussion about it on the irishhiphop.com forum at the moment actually. L Demon was on TV a couple of days ago rapping after a political program. :D
    http://www.irishhiphop.com/forum/read.php?15,590432

Freestyling isn't easy. I think that rap in Ireland is still somewhat early in development so we're not seeing a huge glut of freestyle talent yet. Plus if we rap about guns or hoes or anything like that we get laughed out of it.

Cheers for that link, Luke ( lyrical demon ) was one of my best mates in secondary school, he's a whopper freestyler! I dont many other people in Ireland who are good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Well there are poeple who are notable because they don't record tunes, they just like to freestyle. L Demon is one of them. It's like battle rapping. The are battle rappers who are incredibly talented who have no interest in making music.

Probably the main Irish example is Raggaman Bob. I'd heard a verse or two off him over the years but I didn't find his myspace till earlier this week. I didn't know he was a freestyler at all. And he's at this since the Scary Eire days so we're talking a good 20 years. He was on Podge & Rodge a couple of weeks ago freestyling and that's what jogged my memory. Anyway, he's got a few freestyles up on his myspace that are facinating. They're just really unique and unlike anything else you'd have heard.
    http://www.myspace.com/raggamanbob

Advertisement