Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having To Apply As A Mature Student And Through The CAO

Options
  • 10-12-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,

I've recently filled out an application for a degree at Trinity College as a mature student and was surprised to find out that you need to apply through the CAO as well as going through an interview and essay submission process for mature students..

My question is, are they more leniant with the amount of points required for the course through the CAO because of the interviews and essays??

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi Gary,

I think mature students apply through the CAO more for ease of application for students and colleges.

Yes, you have to give your Leaving Cert details but its only a small part of the application process. How much it counts towards your overall application really depends on the course you are applying to. But I think if you're doing an essay for entry such as Arts degrees, the leaving results are looked on less as a major part of your application. They won't be adding up your points. THere are a lot of people applying who've never sat the Leaving cert....

Also depends on the rest of your application as well - previous work/life experience, your interests, personal statement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MinxOfInsolence

Hi Larianne,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that might be the case, im applying for English literature with History as my combination, both of which are around 520 points through the CAO, and im sitting on about 360 which was fine for my first degree in Software.

So im hoping the lack of points wont work against me.

The TCD Open Day was yesterday which would have been a good place to try nab some mature students. I'd contact the TCD Mature Student Officer - Clodagh Byrne and see if it's possible to speak to any mature students that are on that course. mature.student.officer@tcd.ie She should be able to give you advice and answer questions you might have.

To be honest, I found the more information I got about the course gave me more confidence going into the interview. So send loads of emails! :) No harm like!

I didn't have near the amount of points needed for my course! Just make sure your application is really strong and research the course - speak to students, department heads - for the interview.

Oh, i didnt even realise it was yesterday, although i was working so wouldnt have been able to attend.

I'll fire off a mail now and try and get as much as i can from her, if i get the interview im fairly confident i can convince them to let me in, im very passionate about it, and its what i want :)

Again, thanks a million for the help. Your a lot more helpful than some others have been in the past :)

No worries. I've been in your position, twice! So I know how annoying it is trying to find information about things - it's like it's all a big secret!

If you haven't already, have a look at the stickied thread at the top of the page with Tips on applying.

Best of luck with it all!!

• Advertisement

Thanks, i've just sent a mail to her posing the same questions i asked here and asking her if she can put me in touch with past or present mature students in the two courses so fingers crossed she has something for me.

Thanks again.

Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

There will be a Mature Student open evening on the 14th January in Trinity,info under here.

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=22

Cheers for that, i actually got a mail from the mature student officer about that this morning. I'll definitely head in to check it out.

Advertisement