Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone cycle from Naas to the city centre - Best route please?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, I'm looking to bike commute from Naas to Stephen's green - anyone have any ideas on the best route?

I was thinking of heading up the road parallel to the N7 as far as Castlewarden, then onto tne N7, off at Rathcoole, up past Saggart to the N81 and then straight in through Tallaght into the City.

Anyone have any better / other ideas?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I usually do the back road through Forenaughts up past Kill (I think that's the one you mean by the Castlewarden road) then onto the N7 at the roundabout beyond Kill, up to the long-mile road exit and through Crumlin, then up the canal to Stephen's green. It's a decent balance between some okay scenery and not-too-long a detour. Never actually tried the Saggart-Tallaght route. Seems too far out of the way, if you're just looking to get up. If you want a nicer ride it could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Google Maps suggestion avoiding the N7, could be of interest.

I've gone this way before but was going to Donnybrook, would be a fair bit longer to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This is the route I have used. Getting over the M50 is a bit strange. You have to double back on your self and head for the Luas station and follow the tracks to find the cycle lane. There are no sign posts for it. and google maps doesn't have the new junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭godihatethehils

The N81 is my favourite road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

This is the route I have used. Getting over the M50 is a bit strange. You have to head double back on your self and head for the Luas station and follow the tracks to find the cycle lane. There are no sign posts for it. and google maps doesn't have the new junction.

I go Naas, Johnstown, Kill, Steelstown, then onto the N7 near Blackchurch and in.
    After passing Newlands Cross, keep in the cycle lane, but turn RIGHT and rejoin the N7, just before where the road doubles back for the fancy bridge into the Luas car park. I went straight in on the N7 a few times, but ran out of courage and underwear in a fog one morning. Then its down the Longmile Road for me.
    Try going home via Rathcoole, Windmill Hill, Steelstown if you fancy a climb and have a few extra minutes. I might try that some night with a good moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 giantracer

Thanks everyone for the tips. Much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

How about the following:

Naas - Ballymore Eustace via Punchestown - Hollywood Village heading towards mountains - Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Roundwood - Enniskerry - Sandyford - City Centre

Did the above in early October. Naas to Sandyford Ind Estate using above route is about 80km. Another 8k or so will get you into town. Obviously not a daily commute option but superb route if you want to really challenge yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Took my own advice and came home that way last night. Fun to be in the dark, but I'll (mostly) stick with the N7 and lit roads until the sun comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rutrider

Hi if you want to live cycle to sallins and ride the canal to lesson at all the way and then down to the green. You can speed up your journey by using bits of road in between sections as approprite ie as you learn them. Probably better to use a cross bike but I have also used my road bikes and Mtb on different occassions. It's also quite pleasant and picturesque vs the n7 version of Russian roulette.

The canal is rideable to clondalkin but the are some works on at the moment so you may need to improvise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This would be a rather slow option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rutrider

Gavin wrote: »
    This would be a rather slow option.

Albeit one with a far greater chance of survival. The N7 is unsuitable for cyclists IMO. Particularly when passing exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Rutrider wrote: »
    Albeit one with a far greater chance of survival. The N7 is unsuitable for cyclists IMO. Particularly when passing exits.

True, I don't like the N7. I went via sallins, celbridge, lucan, but I was heading to the northside. South dublin is a bit more awkwars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Took my own advice and came home that way last night. Fun to be in the dark, but I'll (mostly) stick with the N7 and lit roads until the sun comes back.
    If you have decent lights you are MORE visible to motorists on a completely dark (and relatively empty) road rather than one where there is street lighting. On the completely dark road you are the only thing that sticks out whereas on a lit road there is a lot more competing and you tend to blend in more. Motorists always give me way more room passing at night on a completely dark road than even during the day (I am lit up like a Christmas tree.)

Advertisement