Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas CCTV

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hey, so iv gotten several letters from viola transport saying that i was caught on the luas in july without a ticket. i wasnt on it and have rang them several times about it, each time i was told that theyd sort it out and to throw away the letter etc. Last week i got another letter, so i rang them up, this time they told me that they had no records of any of my previous calls and that the matter would be going to court if i didnt pay the fine and to expect a summons. i have phone records proving that iv rang them at least 5times but that prob wont help. basically i have no way to prove that it wasnt me on the luas that day. so i was wondering about the luas cctv system and how long they keep the recordings from the cctv. i asked the "nice" woman from viola about the cctv, but she told me that she couldnt tell me about the cctv because it would "comprimise luas security". if anyone can help me it'd really be appreciated, cant afford to take a day off work to go to court.
    thanks in advance x
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

dont ring them, go to their offices and ask to discuss it with someone. Your shear presence can be the gamechanger. Something similar happened to me and i got a threatening letter. Went to the persons office in my suit and tie (and briefcase), once the person saw i was genuine and that i was "a nice middle class type", case was dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you have the phone records and are ready to produce them in court, that will probably make a difference.

I would have to say that you are probably not talking to the right person. Showing up at the door might be a good idea.

It might be an even better idea to write a letter detailing everything and including the phone records.

You can (probably) make a data protection request requiring production of the CCTV footage of the (alleged) incident, if they still have it, which they probably don't. Time is of the essence with this, you need to do this right away in order to have the records in good time.

It woud be handy if you knew where you actually were on the day in question. In theory you could make a data protection request to your mobile operator asking them for any details they have of your movements on that day, although I don't know of this having been done.

If you have to go to court, you have to go to court, and realistically you will be looking at instructing a solicitor as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

From what I have been told, it is highly unlikely that the CCTV coverage would still exist.

It sounds like that somebody else has given your name and address. Ask them to produce a copy of the standard fare that they would have given "you" on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP

CCTV dvd's are normally kept for 30/31 days in most commercial businesses.
    They are not going to search through their CCTV for something like this as it not in line what the CCTV images are used and that may contravene their licence with the Dta Protection Commissioner.

Sounds to me that someone has given your name and address to the Reveneue Protection Inspector on the Luas.

Its up to you to prove or dis prove your location on the day in quetion, ie have you pin pointed where you were on the day of the alleged Fare Evasion offence....

Make your case and arrange a face to face meeting with the relevant department in Luas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

@OP

They are not going to search through their CCTV for something like this as it not in line what the CCTV images are used and that may contravene their licence with the Dta Protection Commissioner.

Sounds to me that someone has given your name and address to the Reveneue Protection Inspector on the Luas.

Its up to you to prove or dis prove your location on the day in quetion, ie have you pin pointed where you were on the day of the alleged Fare Evasion offence....

Make your case and arrange a face to face meeting with the relevant department in Luas
    it is up to them to prove you were on the luas on that day and that you gave your name and address to their agent, your signiture should be on the standasd fare form that is produced on these occasions and if you were not there then it is likely your signiture will not match what is on the form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Request, in writing, a copy of the CCTV footage, under the Data Protection Act 2003. You have every right to get a copy, since they are saying that you are in the footage.

In court, it is up to them to prove that you were on the LUAS at that date/time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

OP states the incident is alleged to have taken place in July there's no way there'll still be CCTV footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I suspect that if a registered letter is sent requesting copies of the standard fare and the footage, and that it will be requested as part of your defence when you answer the summons that they will have to put up or shut up. However, as always I note the following:

1. IANAL.

2. It's quite likely most people on this forum aren't either, given the % of the population that are.

3. Get legal advice from someone who IS a lawyer. It might not cost very much to have a solicitor write LUAS a letter and have this go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elladee21

hey, so i called into the headquarter place and they point blank refused to discuss it as it has gone on too long and "is out of their hands", which is really frustrating! rang meteor to see if they can pinpoint where abouts i was that day based on my phone activity, but they said that they cant help me. so iv written a very professional letter stating my case to viola and have included photo copies of my phone bills to prove that i have rang them on several occasions and sent it via registered post. if the letter doesnt do the job then i will go to a solicitor and get advice. but fingers crossed that the letter will work! also think it was a so called friend that gave my name that day as she uses the luas everyday and never buys a ticket so it seems reasonable to suspect that it was her!
    thank you all so much for your suggestions, really helped me out, was starting to think i was screwed but not anymore, i have an action plan!so thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,323 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you know where you were on that day? From a diary, receipts, bank or credit card transactions, notes you keep on your phone, texts and phone calls, e-mails, internet posting, work, etc.

Someone was able to get off a murder charge i New York because he was able to prove he was using Facebook a the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You have the right to obtain all personal information kept of you. The Data Protection Commissioner takes a very strict reading of this and takes all images -- still or moving -- as personal data.

Given that Luas are trying to claiming you were on a X tram on X day and time, you have a strong case for them to provide you with the CCTV images from that tram (if they still are on record).

I disagree with you........

As the Fare Evasion Offence was in back in July as per th e OP Luas/Viola Transport will not have a copy of footage.

elladee21 wrote: »
    also think it was a so called friend that gave my name that day as she uses the luas everyday and never buys a ticket so it seems reasonable to suspect that it was her!
    thank you all so much for your suggestions, really helped me out, was starting to think i was screwed but not anymore, i have an action plan!so thanks again!

Well with friends like that you dont need enemies,lol
    Why dont you confront your so called friend if you suspect she gave your details........I would

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If they don't have footage they presumably have to produce their Revenue Protection Officer to identify you. It may be that the RPO would perjure him/herself but you'd like to think not. It's also possible that the RPO will not attend court and thus you have a chance of the getting the charge struck out. Again - CALL A SOLICITOR. A stupid thing like this sticks around in a lot of computers for a long time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I disagree with you........

As the Fare Evasion Offence was in back in July as per th e OP Luas/Viola Transport will not have a copy of footage.

As I said, "(if they still are on record)."

Advertisement