Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What joystick do you use?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Myself I use a Saitek AV8R. It's jerky and notchy but I've just come across a fix for that involving cable ties and Vaseline (don't ask). So what do you use? Have you used many joysticks, and which was your favourite? Does anyone use the Saitek X52 Pro or other HOTAS arrangement? Thinking of buying one when I get back to Dublin next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The X-52 Looks like the business alright ..I had the X42 and it was simply brilliant although got a bit stiff after years of use.
    There's a special offer in PC world in Galway at the moment (which is probably all around the country) where the X-52 is 99 euro so I'll be pickin one up myself next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i have the av8r as well and not keen on it, might go for the g940 or something similar soon, dont like the look of the x52 personally

im in 2 minds as to whether to get the saitek yoke instead though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

indough wrote: »
    i have the av8r as well and not keen on it, might go for the g940 or something similar soon, dont like the look of the x52 personally

im in 2 minds as to whether to get the saitek yoke instead though

Try this mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Have the x52 ( not pro )

Its perfect for the amount of buttons, but fsx cant "SEE" my sliders to bind them, ie: stting rudder trim cant be done using throttle top wheel, because fsx only sees button inputs. The throttle works fine, and the joystick is good, but tends to be a bit.. well, sometimes i feel its too much or too little, if im taking off, the nosewheel doesnt lift at say 20% pull back..but if i go 21%, it jerks back a bit, now i know thats probably fixed by calibrating, but i have no idea at all how to do that.

The software that comes"WITH" the joystick is broken, you need to download it from seitek, but the sst software that enables you to configure multi key strokes into a button or key has never worked for me, as if i want say, the throttle slider to do zoom or airbrakes, it shows it as greyed out to configure, even if i do get a button configured - save and exit, it still doesnt work, so ive resigned myself to using buttons only amd main throttle, which is ok, just annoying really.

All in all though its a good system, if i was to break it down into good + Bad points:

GOOD:
    Throttle feels solid
    perfect sized joystick
    more buttons than you can shake a stick at
    VERY comfortable

BAD:
    MDF display is useless ( just shows button pressed, i was hoping for alt idicators etc )
    Sometimes hit and miss with joystick ( 20% down does nothing, 21% too much) And that includes trim btw
    Sliders and rota become useless
    and my biggest complaint: Suckers are really crap..they slide, even when a little wet

All in all, the bad points are not enough to make me stop using it, but sometimes im tempted to sell it, and go for a good joystick with throttle on the joystick, and force feedback is something id like to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've been using the venerable, but still fantastic MS Sidewinder II force feedback stick for years. I've just picked up a spare off adverts for my son's sim pc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

thanks for the tip confab, im looking to get something with a lot better build quality in general though, probably wait till the new year and splash out a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Darwin

Using an X52 Pro here, and have some of the problems as noted by Subliminal except I find the rubber suckers work quite well on my desk. In FSX, you can display and control the radio stack via the MFD using the iMFD plug in. I must confess I haven't mastered how to configure everything to my liking in FSX or in other sims such as DCS Black Shark. Overall I have found the stick worth the investment, but miss the force feedback effects of my old stick (Logitech Wingman).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

MK1 Fingers and Thumb.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Darwin wrote: »
    Using an X52 Pro here, and have some of the problems as noted by Subliminal except I find the rubber suckers work quite well on my desk. In FSX, you can display and control the radio stack via the MFD using the iMFD plug in. I must confess I haven't mastered how to configure everything to my liking in FSX or in other sims such as DCS Black Shark. Overall I have found the stick worth the investment, but miss the force feedback effects of my old stick (Logitech Wingman).

Try this mod, I found it yesterday while looking for reviews of the X52 Pro. Is the X52 useful for Black Shark? If so it'll probably be even more useful for DCS A10C coming out next year!
    Steyr wrote: »
    MK1 Fingers and Thumb.:cool:

You're joking, right? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thats a pretty long thread on the X52 mods! I don't I'm brave enough to take mine apart. The X52 works pretty well in Black Shark, I used this advice to set it up. Really looking forward to the release of the A10 aircraft

• Advertisement
Advertisement