Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a bike..Test drive..

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Forgive me if this sounds like i'm taking the mickey, because im not...

am just wondering , when you're selling your bike, how do you go about allowing the would-be purchaser test drive your bike without them heading off into the sunset with it!
    Is it just down to trusting them and hoping for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Don't let them do it OP. Friend had a bad experience with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

get him to leave something more valuable with you, like his wife or something. although he may fancy swaping his wife for the bike so it's still a risk I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Cash in hand.

otherwise no test ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

hobochris wrote: »
    Cash in hand.

otherwise no test ride.

+1 lad, be very careful who you let ride off your bike!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

hobochris wrote: »
    Cash in hand.

otherwise no test ride.

+1, under no other circumstances!

Heard of one lad selling his bike, 2 guys arrived in a car. One goes for a test drive while the other waited in the car. After a while the bike owner goes up to the lad in the car asking where his mate was. Guy in the car turned out to be a hackney driver waiting for his fare :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

When I sold my last bike I got the 5500 in cash from the buyer, told him to take it for a test drive and if he didn't like it I'd give him the money back.

Thats the only way to do it. Any other way you leave yourself open to getting shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Mosts lads that are buying know the story and wouldn't mind leaving the keys of there cage or cash for the bike - otherwise, have yer finger on the cut off button on your alarm fob!

-(or go pillion with him, or make him be pillion)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Take some sort of deposit and safisfy yourself that the buyer is genuine.

You may not be insured to take this advice:
    jameshayes wrote: »
    -(or go pillion with him, or make him be pillion)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dont give a test drive. If he crashes, he leaves you with a wreck and can walk away. Never trust anyone, not even your mate, Ive seen friendships ruined that way. Buyer pays you, then test drives. If not happy, gets his money back.

Oh, and dont accept a bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Full cash asking price before test drive.
    Only safe way of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

clown bag wrote: »
    get him to leave something more valuable with you, like his wife or something. although he may fancy swaping his wife for the bike so it's still a risk I suppose.

Haha, That would be of no use to me though because i'm female:)

Thanks very much for all the replies Guys, was kinda thinking id have to take cash prior to the test drive, but thought it might affect the sale or they'd wonder what the hell i was on. I suppose overall i was unsure of the "etiquette" involved, because it's so different to selling a car and hopping in the passenger seat. Whether i was covered by my insurance or not i dont think i'd ride pillion with someone i don't know or trust...maybe that's just me:D

Thanks again Guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

He hands over the full cash price as security no problem, otherwise forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

chasm wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Forgive me if this sounds like i'm taking the mickey, because im not...

am just wondering , when you're selling your bike, how do you go about allowing the would-be purchaser test drive your bike without them heading off into the sunset with it!
    Is it just down to trusting them and hoping for the best?

I won't consider it unless the buyer can show money. Better to ride it around in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Last one I bought I had a good inspection of the bike, did te deal including the haggling came back 2 days later with the cash ( I always take a day or 2 thinking time). Gave the guy me cash and took it for a quick spin popping back in to let him know all was well and off I went with bike.

Mind you the last 2 I sold involved no test just a look, hear it start and back to me the next day with the cash and off they went with no mention of a test. Mind you those bikes were mint.

The story is if someones really interested you'll know and if they know their stuff and the bikes in good knick you'll have no bother. Just get cash whether the asking or sale price before they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im after giving half waterford a go on me bike. All been decent and brought it back to me, so far lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Ask for cash and their drivers licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wouldn't buy a bike without having a test ride. Don't think I'd be willing to bring the full asking price in cash with me for a test-ride either though. How do you work it out with haggling, haggle before you can take a test drive?
    When I bought my last bike (viewed it in town) I had someone come with me who was also on a bike so at all times one of us was with the seller and all our vehicles were parked beside each other. Maybe offer to drive to the potential buyers house if they want a test-ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Tbh would you buy a bike off some lad who rode it to your house? With the amount of scumbags stealing bikes I would want to know as much information as possible about the bike and seller before I parted with cash. The same can be said about potential buyers. A decent cash deposit and their passport/drivers licence should be enough to guarantee they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Well I wouldn't buy it there and then, I'd go on a test drive then if I bought the bike I'd meet with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Anything that involves me having to ride the bike is out of the question as im unable to drive at the moment, hence the reason i will be selling one of my bikes.

How does insurance stand as regards test drives?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

chasm wrote: »
    Anything that involves me having to ride the bike is out of the question as im unable to drive at the moment, hence the reason i will be selling one of my bikes.

How does insurance stand as regards test drives?

The tester is not covered unless his/her insurance covers other bikes. So essentially they could wreak your bike and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Nephew wrote: »
    Ask for cash and their drivers licence.
    You cant do that , they must have it on them while driving :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

You cant do that , they must have it on them while driving :rolleyes:

They'd want to fairly unlucky if it were to happen they were caught without it on that test drive! So unlucky in fact that you could say they shouldn't be on bikes haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

yip full cash in hand proof of insurance and licence to drive such a bike because if he hits or crashes into someone you ass is on the line for knowingly allowing him to drive it without insurance/licence .:eek:

Advertisement