Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 64-bit question

Options
  • 10-12-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

So my brother got a laptop, came pre installed with Windows 7 64-bit, and today i downloaded the call of Duty 4 demo to check out its frames per second

Now the laptops spec is
    4GB ram
    2.2GHz T6600 intel core 2 Duo
    320GB ram
    15.6 inch hd lcd
    nvidia GeForce G102M

so its a good enough spec, but it cant run cod smothly unless everything is low/Off/low res, i didnt really think much of it, pretty piss because i was going to buy cod 4 and mw2 for it soon :(

then i was on autodesk's website to get a app i heard alot of people talking about (3ds max 2010) and it said 32-bit recommended was 2GB ram, where as 64-bit was 4GB

now thats the part that stood out to me the most and i started thinking, maybe its the OS being 64 bit that im not able to run call of duty well.

I ran crysis on mostly med with this laptop before hand, so i though most games would run on this. Also i check youtube and there are videos of the same spec/make laptop's running the demo smothly on much higher setting then mine is.

So can anyone answer these questions that follow

1. Does having a 64-bit OS make games run slower/need better specs etc
    2. Would i be able to run a 32 bit version on windows 7 on the same laptop that is currently running 64?
    3. Will it be faster for gaming and everything else
    4. Would it be recommended?

Thanks for your time and i hope you can help out

(i also am sorry for spelling error's above as the iPod's auto spell is off... Really souldn't post treads from my iPod lol)

Thanks again :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

Mister Man wrote: »
    So my brother got a laptop, came pre installed with Windows 7 64-bit, and today i downloaded the call of Duty 4 demo to check out its frames per second

Now the laptops spec is
    4GB ram
    2.2GHz T6600 intel core 2 Duo
    320GB ram
    15.6 inch hd lcd
    nvidia GeForce G102M

so its a good enough spec, but it cant run cod smothly unless everything is low/Off/low res, i didnt really think much of it, pretty piss because i was going to buy cod 4 and mw2 for it soon :(

then i was on autodesk's website to get a app i heard alot of people talking about (3ds max 2010) and it said 32-bit recommended was 2GB ram, where as 64-bit was 4GB

now thats the part that stood out to me the most and i started thinking, maybe its the OS being 64 bit that im not able to run call of duty well.

I ran crysis on mostly med with this laptop before hand, so i though most games would run on this. Also i check youtube and there are videos of the same spec/make laptop's running the demo smothly on much higher setting then mine is.

So can anyone answer these questions that follow

1. Does having a 64-bit OS make games run slower/need better specs etc
    2. Would i be able to run a 32 bit version on windows 7 on the same laptop that is currently running 64?
    3. Will it be faster for gaming and everything else
    4. Would it be recommended?

Thanks for your time and i hope you can help out

(i also am sorry for spelling error's above as the iPod's auto spell is off... Really souldn't post treads from my iPod lol)

Thanks again :)

just because you have 4gigs of ram doesnt mean your 64-bit!most places just give 4gb to attract ppl who dont understand how ram works, a 32-bit OS can only use 3.5, whereas 64-bit can use more but 64 is more for developers than basic users, check the system properties or run dxdiag.exe into run to find out what bit you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Windows 7 shouldnt be a problem. I'm running a good few games on W7 64bit albeit on a PC but I havent had any issues. Have you got the most up to date graphics drivers?

Also you say the laptop came pre-installed with W7 64bit and you put COD 4 on it to test but then you say
    I ran crysis on mostly med with this laptop before hand, so i though most games would run on this.

:confused:

I'd say the video card isn't up to scratch. The G102M only has 16 shaders, making it an entry level GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Im sure its 64-bit as bad as i am with computers lol

yeah, i downloaded Crysis SP Demo to see if its up to gaming, and it ran it on med (Mostly) but Call of Duty 4 (A less demanding game) wont play unless everything is on low?

the card isnt the worlds greatest, but i know its able to run Call of Duty 4 for other people
    Link : http://www.youtube.com/user/breakstuff11

That page has videos of the same spec laptop with a diffrent OS running modern warfare 2 (laggy but its recording from frap, and on high settings, i would be happy enough with lower settings then in his videos)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Mister Man wrote: »
    Im sure its 64-bit as bad as i am with computers lol

yeah, i downloaded Crysis SP Demo to see if its up to gaming, and it ran it on med (Mostly) but Call of Duty 4 (A less demanding game) wont play unless everything is on low?

the card isnt the worlds greatest, but i know its able to run Call of Duty 4 for other people
    Link : http://www.youtube.com/user/breakstuff11

That page has videos of the same spec laptop with a diffrent OS running modern warfare 2 (laggy but its recording from frap, and on high settings, i would be happy enough with lower settings then in his videos)

Driver problem maybe,I hear the new drivers are rubbish in comparison to the old ones.Try an older driver and see if that improves your FPS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Check you power options in control panel, make sure they are set to "performance".

I assume you are not trying to play while unplugged from the mains.

Advertisement