Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Project Cork

Options
  • 10-12-2009 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering has anyone done a self build in Cork recently and what the costs involved would be, excluding the site costs. Myself and my wife were looking into building a 3/4 bed, 3 bath home.

Also is there a major cost difference between building a bungalow and a two storey house?

Any useful info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

At this early stage so there are so many variables,windows and heating being two of the big ones but you could start working off the magic 100e per sq ft. 3 bed would prob be around 1800 sq ft. Will also depend hugely on whether you are going the direct labour route or employing a contractor. In my own experience having gone the contractor route we are near 125e per sq ft for a very well finished 2100sq ft house with geothermal ufh and high quality alu-timber composite windows. We are just outsid dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

sok2005 wrote: »

Also is there a major cost difference between building a bungalow and a two storey house?

Any useful info would be much appreciated.

Two storey would normally work out cheaper per sq foot of habitable space based on having half the area foundations, half the size of the roof, etc.

Bear in mind that the shape of the house will also have a bearing, a simple rectangluar house will have less work for roofer, blocklayers, plasters, etc, than one with lots of sections jutting out and so on. What looks good on plans will have to be brought to reality and may not be cost effective.

You should try and get an idea what size house you want and exactly what you want in it. Lots of people I know who've built over the past few years have built huge houses over 3,000 or 4,000 square feet. We've just finished ours; it's a 2,700 sq foot 4 bedroom house and I can definitely say that is more than big enough. I feel each room should have a function and a use, for example, there's no need for 3 ensuites, one is enough, etc.

Then factors like what finish you intend to put on the external of the house; stone, brick, dash or plaster. That's probably the order of most expensive to cheapest.

As the previous poster said, it'll be hard to get away from that 100 euro per square foot but I'd suggest that for that 100 euro in 2010 when you might build, a much higher standard house may be built than would have been the case in 2007 or 2008.

I've probably rambled a bit with this post but you were looking for any useful info, so I think it's a start...

You'll find loads of useful stuff on here.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

Cheers for this information. It's exactly what we needed.

Advertisement