Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

telephone line over electricity to DSL modem

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Getting ADSL in a new house.
    I see ways to extend wired LAN's over your existing electricity points in your house.
    I have power and one telephone line in the hall where I dont 'want my ADSL modem.
    Who thinks its possible to crimp something up from the phone line through these devices and back out the electricity point to my modem upstairs???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

anfirrua wrote: »
    I see ways to extend wired LAN's over your existing electricity points in your house.
    I have power and one telephone line in the hall where I dont 'want my ADSL modem.
    Who thinks its possible to crimp something up from the phone line through these devices and back out the electricity point to my modem upstairs???

The electricity transversing the power lines will cause interferance with the telephony signals. You might even short out the sockets.

I would suggest moving the telephone point to a more discreet location ! As near as you can get too the computer would be ideal. My 1cent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any of the adapters I've seen say they don't support the DSL signal. Is there anyway you could run a cable along the skirting board in your hallway to a discreet spot (under the coat rack or something maybe?) where you could place your router and then share the connection via LAN through the power sockets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

anfirrua wrote: »

No - this wont work at all.

The adapters take an ethernet signal and convert it into signals that can work over the electricity wires.

The port will not recognise an adsl signal at all and you could end up damaging the unit due to different voltages being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

Ye sorta expected that but was hoping there was other technologies that might work.

I just mounted it at ceiling level in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Why don't you want the DSL modem in the hall? Is it for astethic or functional (e.g. WiFi coverage) reasons?

• Advertisement
Advertisement