Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Outlook PST File over 2gb

Options
  • 09-12-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

My outlook stopped working recently with the error message

Errors have been detected in the file <file_path>. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool.

Some online research and checking of my HD revelled that my outlook PST file had grown larger than 2gb and could no longer be opened by outlook 2000

Microsoft’s "Inbox Repair Tool" also cannot fix it because of it's size.

Microsoft have a 2gb truncation utility see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296088 but when I ran that and subsequently repaired the file it was unusable.

There are a number of commercial programs to split PST files but I couldn’t find any free ones and I am reluctant to chance a program that costs c€100 which might not work.

Anyone had this problem before?
    Anyone know a way around the problem?
    Or a good software package that can split the pst file.

Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just as regards spliting the file, have a look at the free tool HJSplit here: http://hjsplit.en.softonic.com/
    Since time immemorial, computer users have had problems sharing large files. Whether trying to fit Sim City on floppy disks, uploading binaries to newsgroups or sharing home movies via email, you may well have suffered the inconvenience of a file that's just too big for what you're trying to do.

This is where HJSplit comes in. It's a remarkably simple and easy-to-use little application which can split any file you like into parts of a predefined size, so that sharing them or storing them is made easier. It can also join split files back together and compare parts to see if they're the same.
    Based in just one small executable (there's no installer for this old school app!), the utility weighs in at a piffling 300kb and doesn't have the world's best design. But it works surprisingly well and splits files into chunks of your chosen size, very quickly indeed. Its joining, comparing and MD5 tools all work just as efficiently.

A small but very effective little utility which will split and rejoin any file you like.

Used it myself hundreds of times and still do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you should have a copy of the original PST - so just try the fixes on another copy of it

anyway when you get back in again empty all the deleted mails, also sort emails by size and delete the biggest ones or delete the attachements to free space

you can also archive to another PST

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you have access to another laptop with a more modern version of Outlook, version 2003 SP2/SP3 and later have a version of scanpst that appears to work better than the old one. Not sure what was changed

Also, try using the truncation tool at 1.9 GB.

I guess that you've looked at the stellar phoenix pst tools, which at least have a free download version which allows you to preview what you think it'll recover, and work with the untruncated file.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

die zombie thread die

Advertisement