Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy's first bone :)

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

We've gotten some parma ham bones from zooplus for the puppy (5 months) to gnaw on and help with his teething - buy 4 get one free btw ;) How long do we leave the bone with him thou - at what stage is the bone chewed that it's no safe for him? He has one now where one end is gone and you can see the dried marrow inside - is this still ok for him to chew on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

from the product description:
    Please note - these bones are intended for use as a chew snack or activity toy, not to be eaten entirely. ...
    Chewed bone fragments can clump together in the stomach and cause serious digestive problems, while sharp bone splinters can damage the stomach lining!
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/pork/14726#more

says it all, really

Btw ..is the meat on the bone cooked?
    As it is pork, it shouldn't be raw

EDIT
    pork can potentially carry Aujetzky's disease
    http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=124630&id=102467&com=3&animal=0&lang=2
    Aujetzky's disease does not affect humans, therefore not all pork in circulation is tested for it ...best not to feed pork to dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would be reluctant to give such a young dog a bone tbh, be very careful as some bones can splinter and be very dangerous.

Also, sometimes this treats/bones dont agree with puppies and can make them sick or give them the runs so keep an eye on that too.

Id be more inclined to give a treat like a stuffed kong to a pup rather than a bone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys! His premolars are cutting thru (he's a golden retriever so they're big) at the moment and the bone seems to be the only thing that soothes him - we've tried his kongs/rope toys etc but he's happiest with the bone. There's a tiny bit of meat and fat on them I think it's more the flavour that attracts him - there's a lovely smell of parma ham all over the kitchen :D From what I've read online they're oven baked to prevent them splintering, there's a grizzly bit at one end that he eventally breaks off and ignores and just goes back to chewing the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our 7 month retriever cross is still teething I think. I got her a raw hide bone yesterday and had to take it off her as she's ate half of it. Would be scared to give her a real bone, I don't think it would last 1/2 a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rawhide isn't great for dogs either, I find the petstages chew toys for puppies brilliant and kongs and those white filled bones if you check them regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

You could get a nice marrow bone from the butchers for him :) I started giving them to Gunnar at about 5 months of age and he loved them!

The danger with cooked bones is that they can splinter however a nice raw marrow bone won't splinter and it's great for teething pups. It also wears them out. I remember Gunnar falling asleep almost on it and waking up and starting off again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Our 7 month retriever cross is still teething I think. I got her a raw hide bone yesterday and had to take it off her as she's ate half of it. Would be scared to give her a real bone, I don't think it would last 1/2 a hour.

We got him some of them a while back..after an hour or so the knot had untied and it was all floppy then he kept throwing it around over his head and catching it - it was all disgusting and full of dirt and dust so we took it off him and binned the rest! :rolleyes:
    The other evening he strolled in smacking his lips eating something - come here what have you got puppy etc etc..he jumped up to me and spat something out, I picked it up only to discover it was a tooth!!!gross lol :p

Advertisement