Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light in Attic??

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey guys/gals iam goin attempt to put a light in the attic just wondering is this is right just need a 6amp mcb linked out in the board and then just bring it to the common of the switch then from L1 bring it to the light? and then a neutral from light back to the board:D i just need som1 to say yes that is how it is done and i will be happy out..and it will be wired in singles 1.5 ;-)
    and please dont post negative comments this mite be super easy for u but i am just learning as i go along..
    Thanks Biffo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MonkhouseIHH

Pretty much mate! Just bring an earth to the light switch and light as well! Just be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Yes it is all you have to do. Or just loop from the lighting circuit for one of the bedrooms below it. Should have access to the wiring. But whatever is the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 napper

Apologies in advance, this may be a stupid question but here goes.

I have one of those attic light packs with cable, switch, light fixture etc.
    Is it possible when wiring a light to the attic to put a 20A 4 terminal junction box onto an existing circuit. then have a new cable coming from the junction box to a switch and then onto the light?
    This is instead of bringing a cable from an existing switch in one of the bedrooms below.

Or whats the handiest way to get this light installed?

any advise would be greatly appreciated

P.s. I know this is not in the right place but I recently changed all the socket to my kitchen backsplash. I've put up chrome ones including a chrome cooker switch. I got them in B&Q. my question is that the light on this switch flickers constantly, is this normal? as the one I had there before was constantly light until turned off.
    Come to think of it, when I turned the switch off on the chrome one the light stayed flickering. it should have turned off i imagine!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055135432&highlight=tape

see ablve for getting at the live from the upstairs switch.

Typcially there are no permanant live cables present in an attic WRT the standard Irish way of wiring lights, the permanant lives are all looped through the switches.

however some guys loop them at the ceiling rose (very much the case in the UK), if this is the case you will have direct access to a live neutral and earth in the attic via a bedroom light.

without the permanat live you will be sharing a switched live and you'll have one of those situations where you have to have the light in te bedroom on at the same time as the attic light for the attic light to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 napper

Thanks for that stoner,

It was explained to me that same way before but i just thought i'd ask anyways, having the bedroom light switch operating the attic one obviously isn't ideal. I guess I was just looking for a way out of having to feed the cable from he switch in the bedroom as I would be tackling this one without anyone to check the cables with me. not to worry, reckon i'll get it done eventually.

Sorry to bother you but any comments on the cooker switch problem?

Cheers,
    Napper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

most likely a loose connection, those little neon lamps are usually pushed into the connections, they can flicker due to poor connections, try to power the cooker off at the MCB and take the cover off and see if the neon lamps connections are tight, push them in again

best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Ref cooker switch.
    You may have connections input and load reversed.
    This means constant power on neon when switched off.
    Try swapping them around
    make sure both inputs are into correct terminals
    ditto for outputs

meercat wrote: »
    Ref cooker switch.
    You may have connections input and load reversed.
    This means constant power on neon when switched off.

Agree with the above, I read the OP incorrectly thought it flickered when on, not that it flickered 24/7 with the switch up or down.

Advertisement