Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual sighting in night sky.

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:54am

Ok, Im putting myself out here with this one..:):o

last night, I was looking at the sky, just as I hopped into bed.
    I was looking toward Sirius, which I love because its always flashing. I then had a quick look around the nearby stars. I noticed, that right beside Sirius another light started flashing. It wasnt a star. It started rising in a line parrallel from Sirius up to about Procyon. It was not flying straight like any other aircraft. It was flying upwards. Also, the light was white, there was no other colour visable, with naked eye anyway.
    What craft could this have been at this time of night, and flying upwards?

I was literally left lying in the bed with my jaw on the ground.

I live in County Dublin. BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Most likely this was an airplane travelling towards you from a fair distance away. This would account for the direction of the light, rising up from the horizon towards overhead.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Most likely this was an airplane travelling towards you from a fair distance away. This would account for the direction of the light, rising up from the horizon towards overhead.

Possibly. Just didnt look like any plane Id seen before. You know?

Im fairly knew to all this skywatching though, so I'll bow to your greater knowledge :)

Im taking pictures now of the x's in the sky. Planes fly way more irregular than I had previously thought. Until you start looking up you dont notice stuff
    Theres a big x in the sky on front of my house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Always possible it was the Garda helicopter. I can often see it from my back garden hovering in the distance over quarryvale/neilstown/rowlagh. It'll often stay stationary for ages then move off. Side on and you can see the flashing red light underneath it but facing towards you it'll just be a white light. A chopper might account for irregular flying patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

lord lucan wrote: »
    Always possible it was the Garda helicopter. I can often see it from my back garden hovering in the distance over quarryvale/neilstown/rowlagh. It'll often stay stationary for ages then move off. Side on and you can see the flashing red light underneath it but facing towards you it'll just be a white light. A chopper might account for irregular flying patterns.

Leo , dont think we have one of those down here :D , havent seen any chinese lantrens either by the way , is the light from that chopper Really bright???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stargate wrote: »
    Leo , dont think we have one of those down here :D , havent seen any chinese lantrens either by the way , is the light from that chopper Really bright???

It can be,they have a search light on it too that is very bright,can be seen from a fair distance off. And the Garda chopper has made the odd spin down to cork on covert operations i've been told.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sounds very much like a Chinese Lantern. A very sharp with white that travels very high. They are sometimes a deep orange/red colour too.

Advertisement