Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Order...let's all admit...

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:18am

...they were a little bit crap, were they not?

Yes, back in the 80s when there was little choice and we had to identify with one band we all pretended to love them, and Blue Monday really was good...20 years ago when we weren't absolutely sick of it. And even the compilation album, Substance, was pretty decent. And I would concede that they were an important band.

But they got away when some amount of crap too. And anyone who disagrees should listen to Technique. Parts of it sound like a car crash. And subsequent stuff was all a little bland, when the world of electronic music was really pushing boundaries.

So who else will 'fess up. Who could actually sit down and listen to them now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

You mean to say people have been blindly following a group way past it's sell by date?

Surely not! Not on boards! Not with so many people about the world who "know their stuff"!
    :pac:

Jay D wrote: »
    You mean to say people have been blindly following a group way past it's sell by date?

Not so much now. They were kinda crap even during their day. I listened to Technique once back in 1989. That was once more than it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I never really liked them to be honest, though I will admit that Blue Monday is a classic that I still love hearing when I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

always thought they were ****e, along with Ultravox.

Their cover of ceremony was a good track though, and they more or less kept the hacienda open for a few years, so I respect them quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

They were never going to be as good as Joy Division but they still managed to be pretty influential and bring out some good songs along the way. I find it hard to listen to a whole album but you cant deny the brilliance of stuff like Blue Monday, Temptation, True Faith and Confusion. I'm a massive Joy Division fan so I will forgive any rubbish that might have come in between and even forgive Peter Hooks knob twiddling moment of madness.

By all rights New Order should never have happened after Ian Curtis death so what they achieved is admirable and its not fair to call them rubish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I like New Order, not fanatical or anything but they are a good band.True Faith, Temptation, and Blue Monday are all great songs. I think maybe getting Substance would be sufficient. Saw them live a few years back and was quite impressed.

All bands are a bit crap to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Rubbish :eek: New Order are amazing especially live, they have released some grounbreaking tracks over the years and are up there with the best of them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I disagree with Conor74. I am also confused about the comparison... Have New Order released another album recently? If they have, I haven't heard it. The music they had in the 80's was part and parcel of a generation. It was iconic in its own right. The fact that numerous remixes and versions have come out of the woodwork in this decade AND were popular show that it still works, in my opinion.

I still get regular requests both on the radio and in the club for THAT one New Order track (even though I know Confusion briefly resurrected their career back in to the mainstream following the Blade Trinity OST. That Rebirth-generated riff just went through so many rip-off tracks during that time too).

In fact, I think I'll put Blue Monday on in the club tonight...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I could listen to an instrumental version of blue monday over and over, suprised it hasn't been remixed to death (or maybe it has??)

Anyway once most bands release a decent album that gets them recognition and earns them a few sheckles they get away with releasing pure mince afterwards. People keep buying their albums looking for the sound of the HIT album.

Thank god for the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Never liked Blue Monday to be honest, true faith is good.

World In Motion is a particular low point, John Barnes rap, haha.

'Catch me if you can,
    Because im the England Man,
    And what your looking at,
    Is the masterplan'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I like them but more in terms of their singles and live shows. Their album tracks dont stand up too well there are a few on Republic that are ok. But they certainly are not crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

One of my biggest regrets is never seeing them live. They're definitely one of my favourite groups and Substance is one of my favourite albums. Their earlier stuff is generally better but yes, some of their stuff isn't great, particularly their last album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Reasons Why You're Wrong:

Exhibit A :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

i love blue monday, i'm too young to remeber it being on the radio but it is one of those 80s tunes that everyone loves.

but other than that, i cant say i know anything else by them,
    that regret fire could be the pet shop boys or early take that, those aren't complements either. sounds like a lot of the naff summer of love korg piano rubish that acid house
    peeps get misty eyed over. Its a time thing, in 10 years time someone will be on the net saying the chemical brothers and daft punk aren't that great, that underworld had one good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Quiggers wrote: »
    Its a time thing, in 10 years time someone will be on the net saying the chemical brothers and daft punk aren't that great, that underworld had one good song.

You dont have to wait ten years.

Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers and Underworld are pants.

Especiall Daft Punk, Ive always hated them.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Never liked Daft Punk either, except for this, which you would never think was by them either...

Alive

As for New Order, not really my thing... I have a 'Best Of' CD which has probably been played once in ten years.

Disagree though on Underworld and the Chemical Brothers, loved their early work. Although pretty much never listen to them these days.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Never liked Daft Punk either, except for this, which you would never think was by them either...

Alive

Homework itself was a brilliant album. Sadly though it was never followed up. Just like the chemical brothers and their post-surrender material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Homework itself was a brilliant album. Sadly though it was never followed up. Just like the chemical brothers and their post-surrender material

I'd have to disagree with that - push the button was a fine return to form in my opinion, and you can hardly compare the chems to Daft Punk - they've been far more consistent with their albums (definitely agree that DP haven't done anything truely great since homework)

Don't really agree about New Order at all... They're damn good live, and they have released some great songs if you look beyond (the fantastic) blue monday

tman wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that - push the button was a fine return to form in my opinion, and you can hardly compare the chems to Daft Punk - they've been far more consistent with their albums (definitely agree that DP haven't done anything truely great since homework)

Well im saying that both acts are the same in that their early work was brilliant but then they turned into commercial pop **** - of which Push The Button is a perfect example.

hang on.... 'my finger is on the button'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If someone is of the opinion they were crap, well that's their opinion. :)

/grits teeth... :D

Nah, I'm a major NO fan - but only 80s NO. Very little since 1989 has impressed me. I can understand what people mean about the patchier moments on Technique. I think that was the point when they did start becoming more bland and coffee table/car CD player music. Some great moments on that album, but yes, some duff ones too. My favourite songs on it are the darker guitar-based ones rather than the dancey tracks. Prior to that though, I think they brought out some truly seminal stuff.

Republic from 1993 is M-People territory - bar the very occasional good track. It's pretty awful stuff overall. In 2001, after their super-long hiatus, I thought on hearing Crystal (which I think is fantastic - real vintage New Order) that Get Ready would be a return to form. It isn't - it's very disappointing. I didn't even bother with Waiting For The Siren's Call. I don't know whether the remaining members (Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris - well I think the latter is still involved) have become Bad Lieutenant, or whether they're a bunch of other musicians with Sumner on vocals - but I've heard one song by them and it's just bland central.

I agree New Order were amazing live - but for me, Joy Division will always be slightly better.

Quiggers wrote: »
    in 10 years time someone will be on the net saying the chemical brothers and daft punk aren't that great, that underworld had one good song.

:D:D

Post modern irony I presume. As others have pointed out, many think some of them are crap right now. I certainly cannot stand Daft Punk, not a fan of Chem Brothers, but I love Underworld.

Advertisement