Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt rattle?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi people

I left my 06 vectra 1.6 in yesterday to a garage to have the timing belt kit and waterpump done , and a service the car is running a lot smoother etc .

But today I've noticed there is a loud enough rattle noise coming from what seems to me be the timing belt cover its only there between 1.5 revs and 3.0 thousand revs.

Im gonna bring it back to the mechanic after work this evening but would appreciate if anyone knew what the problem was it would be handy to know while talkin with mechanic thanks a mill .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

there might be a slight tear in the belt,

maybe it just happened as they were putting it on.

you'll be needing a new one im afraid.

dunno if the garage will cover it for you or not

but then again it might not be

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

It could be that it's loose, if the belt has been off or replaced, and put back too loose then it can rattle along the long edge and hit off the cover, a bit dodgy to be honest, get it sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If it is the belt then it could fail. If it fails it will become a much bigger problem. Don’t drive it, ring them and explain the situation. They will react quickly as they won’t want the hassle of a failed belt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jimbo19162

Will do will ring as soon as they open and bring it back to them this evening there was no rattle at all yesterday when I dropped it in so surely they'll have to fix this problem free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes of course they will fix free as long as its related to the work carried out. I wouldnt drive it at all if you think its a belt problem. If it were to slip or something, you could be looking a new engine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sounds like the belt is coming into contact with the plastic cover OP. The belt could be nicked and catching the cover every time it passes a particular spot or the timing belt cover might not have been put back on correctly.

Either way, get it sorted out without delay for obvious reasons...

All sorted now turns out it was a pulley that was never tightened enough and came loose :eek: . Could had been a major disaster . Thanks for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Opps. Thats a bit too careless tbh.
    I bet they wouldnt have admitted that so quickly if you arrived on a tow truck needing a new engine!

haha I dout it very much :D

Advertisement