Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the point in fight classes?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey guys, i've been thinking that i might like to have my first fight next year, however i have an issue with the different fight clases they have in ireland. i know that you just cant send a fighter straight into pro rules with no experience. i understand you have to protect the fighter. but there's very little difference in a,b,c rules so why not just have a class rules.

Lets say my strentgh is on the ground and i fight in c rules. i can't punch him on the ground but he can punch me standing up. surely i'd be safer at a rules where i can be offensive in my area of strentgh.

lets same my strentgh is muai thai. in b class i cant knee or elbow standing. am i better of in A class?

also, as a fighter you want you're win, you're hard work to count for something, so you can build up you're record. if you win at c or c it doesnt count as a pro fight. if im going to be putting my body on the line i want my win to count for something. just putting it out there, what u guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishdownhiller

fighting at pro level is showing that you are a particular skill level, as well as experience, pro guys will generally be more well rounded, and can therefore handle themselves in certain situations, being hit in the face standing is going to be safer on than on the ground where you could potentially be held in a position and pounded on. Its probably as much about getting fighters to gain expericen as it is to protect them. And the difference between the three clasess is greater than you think, a allows elbows and punches to the head of a downded opponent, have you seen the damage elbows can do standing nevermind grounded? so having seperate rules from c to b/a helps fighters to improve either their takedown defense, or there ability on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

but there's very little difference in a,b,c rules so why not just have a class rules.
    There are big differences between the classes. Having new comers fighting A class would just be stupid and would end up with a lot of people getting hurt needlessly. It's all about fighter safety.
    lets same my strentgh is muai thai. in b class i cant knee or elbow standing. am i better of in a class.
    You can knee in B class.
    also, as a fighter you want you're win, you're hard work to count for something, so you can build up you're record. if you win at c or c it soesnt count as a pro fight. if im going to be putting my body on the line i want my win to count for something. just putting it out there, what u guys think?
    If you win a semi-pro right it goes on you record as a semi-pro win. Why do you think it 'doesn't count'?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

crosdad wrote: »
    if you win at c or c it soesnt count as a pro fight. if im going to be putting my body on the line i want my win to count for something. just putting it out there, what u guys think?

Thats because c class is Amateur, a stepping stone too get to Pro level just like in any other sport

fight at pro 1st and you will lose aswell as risk getting hurt
    being hit in the face standing is going to be safer on than on the ground where you could potentially be held in a position and pounded on.

a allows elbows and punches to the head of a downded opponent, have you seen the damage elbows can do standing nevermind grounded?

Being hit in the face standing is way harder than getting hit on the ground, you cant use your full body weight when on top of someone and also cant use the powerful leg muscles where a good punch starts from.

the point of the different classes is so that lads with little or no ground defense does not get caught in a position that he cant handle or have to take the more damaging blows standing or grounded such as elbows and that beginners dont get matched with experienced fighters too.

The original post clearly comes from some 1 who has no MMA experience and if they go the pro route will learn the hard way. My advise try the MMA league, see how you do-then try C class for a number of fights then if you can handle that move up a level to pro class.

PS, C class does knee's to the head standing in most cases.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishdownhiller

i meant to say standing striking is easier to defend, like to move and circle away from etc not that it hurts less or strikes are less powerful..sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

cowzerp wrote: »
    Thats because c class is Amateur, a stepping stone too get to Pro level just like in any other sport

fight at pro 1st and you will lose aswell as risk getting hurt

Being hit in the face standing is way harder than getting hit on the ground, you cant use your full body weight when on top of someone and also cant use the powerful leg muscles where a good punch starts from.

the point of the different classes is so that lads with little or no ground defense does not get caught in a position that he cant handle or have to take the more damaging blows standing or grounded such as elbows and that beginners dont get matched with experienced fighters too.

The original post clearly comes from some 1 who has no MMA experience and if they go the pro route will learn the hard way. My advise try the MMA league, see how you do-then try C class for a number of fights then if you can handle that move up a level to pro class.

PS, C class does knee's to the head standing in most cases.

my opinion is that you should't be in there if you have little or no ground experience. i think if you're gone fight you should be ready for the fight to go to the ground and be able to defend youreself there. i dont believe that guys should be just thrown in there. but this is mma and you should be able to fight to you're strenghts. do you think its right that if my strenght is the ground that i have no chance of doing any damage when i take my opponent to the ground?

i think we should have maybe one other class so we protect first timers from the the experienced guys. but i believe you should be able to utilize all you're mma skills. i haven't trained these years in ground to go in there and loose to a striker because im not allowed punch him on the ground! this is a fight like.

btw, i have had much mma league experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

crosdad wrote: »
    do you think its right that if my strenght is the ground that i have no chance of doing any damage when i take my opponent to the ground?

i think we should have maybe one other class so we protect first timers from the the experienced guys. but i believe you should be able to utilize all you're mma skills. i haven't trained these years in ground to go in there and loose to a striker because im not allowed punch him on the ground! this is a fight like.

btw, i have had much mma league experience.

do the level that suits you, if its striking on the ground do that, your dpoing the mma league years so its fine for you to step up, but the strikers are going to punch you in the head now and not get taken down so easily, plus as a striker the ground is terrible without striking so it wont be you thats happier it will be the striker who wants to strike to win-but you dont expect stikers to jump into pro without any ground experience i hope, and if they have ground skills your the 1 thats going to get pounded imo.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

The point in Classes is that no promoter in there right mind would match you up if you have had no MMA experience. Long gone are the days when you get a lad fighting because he has a long amateur boxing background or is a solid Thai Boxer. You must be well rounded. And to be well rounded you need experience. Makes it easier for the matchmaker and safer for the fighter.

Advertisement