Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on new car

Options
  • 09-12-2009 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I'm looking for some advice please!

I'm looking to spend about 20k on a new / second hand car in the new year. I drive about 300miles per week so I'd like a diesel, with low road tax if possible. I don't want anything too big cause I just don't need it, but would like a nice car that I'll have for a few years.
    At the moment I'm looking at the following:
    BMW 1 series
    Volvo c30
    Renault megane (new model)
    audi a3

Any thoughts? Does anyone know much about any of these cars? What can I expect to get for the money I'm willing to spend?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€20k would probably get you a 09 Subaru Impreza diesel early next year. 150bhp boxer diesel engine, 4wd and better value than the others on your list.

media?id=7552807&width=400&height=300
    media?id=7552867&width=400&height=300

Only costs €302 per year to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Dylanmc111 wrote: »

I'd still go for the Subaru... or maybe import a 08 320d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

bazz26 wrote: »
    €20k would probably get you a 09 Subaru Impreza diesel early next year. 150bhp boxer diesel engine, 4wd and better value than the others on your list.

media?id=7552807&width=400&height=300
    media?id=7552867&width=400&height=300

Only costs €302 per year to tax.

..........but not in that colour..........YUCK:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dylanmc111 wrote: »

€600 a year tax though. (and almost 3 years old)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

How about a Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Titanium 5dr [dpf] Powershift
    Auto with cruise so easy mile muncher, plenty of power.

All under €20K for a nearly new 2009....

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/(S(dprwntnooelykearggsw2bys))/Search/VehicleDetails.aspx?vehicle=257201&diesel=yes

I have the non powershift and it is a super car. Moved down for a 5 series and delighted with the performance and low running costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

How about a Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Titanium 5dr [dpf] Powershift
    Auto with cruise so easy mile muncher, plenty of power.

All under €20K for a nearly new 2009....

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/(S(dprwntnooelykearggsw2bys))/Search/VehicleDetails.aspx?vehicle=257201&diesel=yes

I have the non powershift and it is a super car. Moved down for a 5 series and delighted with the performance and low running costs.

+1

Apparantly as good as a DSG. Not a normal auto really.

What about a Kia Proceed? Long 7 year warranty, good spec and diesel engine, looks well and should be possible to even bargain a new one for about your price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Theres a new Skoda Octavia 1.6TD available for 19kish - €104 a year to tax and if you have a 10 year old banger to trade, you might get lucky in the budget later today if the announce a scrappage scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    +1

Apparantly as good as a DSG. Not a normal auto really.

Strangely, I drove a Focus Ghia Powershift earlier this year and thought it was a horrible, jerky, autobox and was going to be a big dissapointment to the driver compared to the Octavia 1.9Tdi DSG she was in.

I've since driven the S40 powershift and that was really smooth and more or less on par with a DSG.

Could just have been that particular Focus that wasn't great, or maybe the fact they've lopped 30bhp off to bring the emissions in under 155g causes issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 petro

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think the subaru is really me, but I might look into the Focus more after those good reports!

Petro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

What about a Skoda Octavia VRs 2.0 tdi,170 Bhp,50 Mpg easy,Huge boot and dosn't stand out to much except to people that know there motors.For the love of GOD steer clear of Renaults,Had 1 last generation as company wagon and has to be the biggest pile of sh*te I've ever had the misfortune to be lumbered with!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Not overwhelmed by the iterior looks & quality of the Impreza and the exterior is not much to write home about either.

How about a '08 Legacy diesel?

Focus is also a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

Have you looked at the Honda Civic 2.2 Diesel?

Very Low c02. Just 150 road tax per year. I don't know why they are so rare on Irish roads.

Advertisement