Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabbit doesnt "talk"

Options
  • 09-12-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

hello to all!

i have a rabbit, hes 8 years old, and hes always been as healthy as can be, the only thing is that he has never made a sound! Up until last week i thaught this was normal, but it turns out the opposite is true, they should make grunting noises etc, can anyone tell me why this could be?!

i tried google, but all i can find is information about why rabbits DO make noise

thanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Funny, my son and I were just discussing this yesterday. He asked me what sound rabbits make and to be honest I hadn't a clue. I'm not a rabbit owner but I've never heard a rabbit make a sound that I remember.

He did however tell me that apparantly if you flip a rabbit over on its back it'll cry. Any truth in that?

Jen ;->

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

My rabbits never make much noise, they occasionally grunt at each other but very little other than that. I wouldn't worry about it too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

haha, well he makes munching noises (similar to bugs bunny) but other than that nothing! As for the crying, funnily enough a few days after the death of his good lady guinea pig friend there was a bit of a tear in the eye, but that was probably from other means. I wouldnt have the heart to see if we got a result from flipping him on his back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Mine only ever grunts when he's angry, like when I put my hand near his food when he's eating (before he realises the hand is giving him more food!).

haha our little fella gets angry at that one to, except he just fooks the bowl up in the air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

We had a far and loads of rabbits, and no can't recall sounds:confused:

good so, im not on my own, i just thaught that maybe there was something wrong with the little bugger for the past 8 years!

BTW, how much longer has he got left in him, hes very healthy, can still jump out of the hutch etc just as easily as the first day we had him, and has as good a temperment as ever, most people around the place say youd be lucky to get 2-3 years out of a rabbit :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

sherdydan wrote: »
    good so, im not on my own, i just thaught that maybe there was something wrong with the little bugger for the past 8 years!

BTW, how much longer has he got left in him, hes very healthy, can still jump out of the hutch etc just as easily as the first day we had him, and has as good a temperment as ever, most people around the place say youd be lucky to get 2-3 years out of a rabbit :S

Those people aren't looking after their rabbits properly so.
    Mine all lived 6-8 years which is a pet rabbit's expected lifespan. If your little fella is still going strong he might still have a bit more mileage to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

One of my rabbits once growled at one of my other rabbits. And I have one who sqeaks and stamps his foot if he hears a strange noise - he's always been a bit 'jumpy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some buns are more quiet than others, mind you some can really scream esp. at the vets lol. They sound like cats not a noise you expect from a rabbit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement