Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another midi controller thread!

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

just got my laptop back today, they couldnt revive my ahrd drive (thanks my sister for droppin it) so i lost my hard drive and about 60% of my older tunes.

not too big a deal.

anyways, i was using ableton live 7 but after zascars traktor pro thread i said i would give it a try and went and picked up a copy and im really impressed.

it gives a lot more interraction than i felt with live and im gonna give traktor a go for a while.

now the toys part!

i need a controller for traktor.

i know from reading the ni forums and zascars thread that the vci 100 seems to be the prefferred controller out there.

im trying to keep my options open, and im really liking the idea of an allen & heath xone2d and a new mixer (behringer probably!)

with the vci i need to buy a decent soundcard on top of the controller, but it comes ready mapped for traktor, which is a big big bonus.

the xone 2d requires the mapping to be done, but i have looked at youtube and it doesnt look too bad.

having never tried either im lookin for advice on which to go for. or if theres any other decent controllers around the 500 / 600 mark (incl soundcard if need be)

cheers lads

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

the vci 300 comes with a built in soundcard AFAIK.

i got the m-audio xponent,havent really had time to give it a proper lash yet but already im dreaming of a vestax controller.......

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

I use the VCI-100 with the NI Audio 2 DJ soundcard, I have no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i think im just going to go with the xponent, work on it and possibly traktor over the next few months and then make the progression to the vestax or further up the ladder. the xponent is only 300 i think so not a bad option if you wanted to save yourself some money AND it has the built in soundcard. after that you could decide if you want to keep on the external controller path or move onto pastures new.

i've already had the numark total control which was ok but the latency on it was an issue for me. still though, it was ok to get me on the road to future stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Also check out DJTechTools, all about midi controllers, lots of useful info.

http://www.djtechtools.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cheers for the replies,

anyone had any experience with the xone 2d?

• Advertisement

nobody used the xone 2d?

think im gonna pick one up 2moro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Xone 2D is excellent, a friend has one and loves it

Don't disregard the Evolution UC33 for Traktor if you are using another mixer. I have one (for sale ;)) and it has a brilliant mapping for Traktor Pro too.

What mixer are you going to get?

jus gonna get a behringer 750 or somethin.

yeh, looked at the uc33 after ur thread.

leaning towards the xone 2d now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

copeyhagen wrote: »
    nobody used the xone 2d?

think im gonna pick one up 2moro.

Before you rush into getting the xone 2d check out the NI Kontrol X1 that's coming out in February, same idea as the xone 2d kind of, it's aimed to go alongside a mixer, and it's only €200. It comes pre-mapped specifically for Traktor.

The 2d kind of doubles as a mixer, as it seems the faders and pots are usually used for upfaders and EQs, which your mixer will have, so IMO you'd be better off getting 2 X1s and a soundcard for the same price as a 2d.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yep deffo consider the Kontrol X1.

That DJX750 looks pretty good - savage value anyway: http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_djx_750.htm I know people hate the Behringer stuff but I had the DJX700 and it was grand for basic home use etc. I'd say the 750 is pretty good, I'd love to have a go on one and see what it was like..

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Yep deffo consider the Kontrol X1.

That DJX750 looks pretty good - savage value anyway: http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_djx_750.htm I know people hate the Behringer stuff but I had the DJX700 and it was grand for basic home use etc. I'd say the 750 is pretty good, I'd love to have a go on one and see what it was like..

I'll be getting one on Saturday, I could bring it round to Laundry when yous are setting up some night or something, for you to have a go.

haha thanks man, Laundry is on hold for the time being, hoping to kick it off again early next year - but let me know how you get on with it!

haha thanks man, Laundry is on hold for the time being, hoping to kick it off again early next year - but let me know how you get on with it!

Will do man, should have the X1 by then too, so I'd be able to show you that too.

i was watchin the richie hawtin video of his old setup before he started usin the kontrol x1 and he was usin the up faders and the pots on the xone 1d for effects ;)

but yeh could be interesting to see the x1 alright.

maybe ill hold off..hmmmm

just bought an allen&heath xone 1d and the behringer djx750 off thomann :D

ill still pick up the kontrol x1 when it comes out in feb, these 2 will keep me busy over xmas.

need to buy an amp and speakers now too.

if i buy active loudspeakers from thomann like these http://www.thomann.de/ie/cat.html?gf=active_loudspeakers_fr&oa=pra are the prices for a pair or for individual speakers?! noob question i know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

those prices will be per speaker,

How good are those "The Box" speakers does anyone know? Sometimes if I have a party in the house I rent speakers, but it would be worth buying a few of these they would pay for themselves after just a few... I've just no idea of the low end ones are any good or how big a speaker you'd need for what size room etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

How good are those "The Box" speakers does anyone know? Sometimes if I have a party in the house I rent speakers, but it would be worth buying a few of these they would pay for themselves after just a few... I've just no idea of the low end ones are any good or how big a speaker you'd need for what size room etc

I got a beast of a set off Ebay a while ago, 300 notes delivered, Skytec PA System, amp & speakers, some wack off them, cant even turn them over halfway!

This kind of thing? http://cgi.ebay.ie/DJ-PA-SET-1000-WATT-SYSTEM-AMP-SPEAKERS-CABLES-KIT_W0QQitemZ220513069477QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item33579a69a5#ht_6573wt_1165

Looks like a lot of bang for your buck! Doesn't look very portable though that's the only thing. You don't want to have to rent a van just to get the thing around the place. Finding something that sounds good & is loud, but small enough to fit in a car - that's tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

bet they weigh a ton too,
    2 powered 15" cabs, moulded, loud, compact and light.

i bought the jbl eon1500's years ago, their passive so i carry an amp seperatly but i can carry both at the same time without straining, and the fit on the back seat with room for a udg record bag too. Put them up and stands and the sound will pass over the crowds bodies and into their ears. People are such b*st*rds, showing up and soaking up the dB's, meaning you've to turn it up, bunch of w*nk*rs.

Advertisement