Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a block/brick garage

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking at getting an 19 foot long by 13 foot wide (internal size) garage built to hold a car and then the usual diy tools and gardening stuff.

Roof wise,nothing fancy,sloping from 1 side to the other to allow rain to flow off.Also just a block or brick finish,no plaster or rendering on it.Cheap and cheerfull as they say.

I have a PVC door and large double glazed window here for it allready.So all I would need would be a roller door of about 8 feet wide.

Can anyone advize me at a good idea of cost in this day and age.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to the prices/costs forum.

The price will vary depending on location, materials used and construction method. I dont see why it couldnt be done for around €8k - €10k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

muffler wrote: »
    I'll move this to the prices/costs forum.

The price will vary depending on location, materials used and construction method. I dont see why it couldnt be done for around €8k - €10k

Sorryand thanks.

Dublin 9 area.

Nothing fancy,just a simple block garage,with a sloped roof for rain to run off,whether it be metal cladding (like what you see on most factories) or whatever roof is best suited and cost effective.

Its just for storing a car and the usual garden and diy tools and some of my junk too.

So what do you think of the cost then?

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭muffler

For work to be done in Dublin I wouldnt even want to hazard a guess as its the dearest place on this little island of ours to get any sort of work done. I can never understand how people can justify the fees and charges.

Anyhow hang in here and Im sure someone from the Dublin area will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

im a blocklayer from galway and i think that it could be built for a lot less than 8-10k.
    roughly a thousand blocks with box profile cladding and simple lean to roof it should come in under 5k for materials and labour.
    i know a few guys working in dublin on roofing jobs and i could give you a good deal on the labour if you want.

mossfort wrote: »
    im a blocklayer from galway and i think that it could be built for a lot less than 8-10k.
    roughly a thousand blocks with box profile cladding and simple lean to roof it should come in under 5k for materials and labour.
    i know a few guys working in dublin on roofing jobs and i could give you a good deal on the labour if you want.

5K????

Sure thats for nothing for what Im after.

Can you PM me some contacts and numbers please?

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Quack13

We recently got a garage built as part of our new build.
    Dimensions are around 10m x 5m.

It has a very simple spec (ie no insulation or anything) as we wanted to pump most of our money into the house.

It was built using cavity blocks.
    2 windows, 2 doors.
    Upstairs floored out for storage.
    Very nice automated Lomax door.

Natural slate on roof.

Including groundworks, the whole thing came in between 9-10K.
    (Excluding the natural slate).

I can send you on a more detailed breakdown later in the week if you wish.

Hope that helps!

Quack13 wrote: »
    We recently got a garage built as part of our new build.
    Dimensions are around 10m x 5m.

It has a very simple spec (ie no insulation or anything) as we wanted to pump most of our money into the house.

It was built using cavity blocks.
    2 windows, 2 doors.
    Upstairs floored out for storage.
    Very nice automated Lomax door.

Natural slate on roof.

Including groundworks, the whole thing came in between 9-10K.
    (Excluding the natural slate).

I can send you on a more detailed breakdown later in the week if you wish.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that info.
    I,d love a breakdown of things,if thats ok with you?.

Thanks again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info.
    I,d love a breakdown of things,if thats ok with you?.

Thanks again.:)

Would you mind sending it to my also - I'm also looking to build a garage of similar size but i would like to insulate it.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Quack13

Groundworks & Stone - €800
    Blocks & Concrete - €2476
    Blocklaying - €1220
    Steel Beam - €140
    Garage Door - €1500
    Windows/Doors - €1500
    Roof (including flooring out upstairs) - €2000

Groundworks - the foundations were dug out as part of the house, so I mean pouring the conrete, stone etc
    Natural slates also not included in here.

Soffit/Fasica was 2700 for house/garage... you could say 20% of this went towards garage?

Hope this helps.

Advertisement