Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEARTBURN

Options
  • 08-12-2009 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hello, my wife is pregnant with our 4th baby and is due in early Feb. thing is, she is complaining a lot lately about heartburn. She takes Gaviscon for it but it doesn't do much, sometimes she cant even eat her dinner. I hate to see her like this and was wondering if anyone here had any advice.
    She's been to the doctor but he says its part of being pregnant and to take Gaviscon. She never had this before.

Any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Nitxteha

has she tried camomile tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

On my first I was buying like a litre of galviscon a week and never went anywhere with out rennies tumms ( the fruity ones ), I had even a small bottle of galivscon beside the bed for when the heartburn woke me, despite sleeping practially sitting up.

It is unfortunately one of those things which has to be endured.
    I would suggest that she eats small bits regularly over the day if she can't manage full meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Drink lots of milk during the day and try to avoid spicy and acidic foods. Thats what I've been doing and taking Rennies as needed cos I think Gaviscon is just horrible! Yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

I saw an obstetician in HS last week with the same problem. He told me to take 'zantac', available from the chemist without prescription. Up to then I was drowning in Gaviscon Advance. The zantac definitely works much better, but am still getting some occassional acid attack but no way near as bad.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Zantac should only be taken on a doctor's recommendation during pregnancy. Anyone reading this - the only things without doctors recommendation that can be used are Gaviscon and Rennies. Gaviscon advance is supposed to be better in pregnancy as it forms more of a raft on the stomach contents apparently.

If your wife gets it at night she should prop herself up with as many pillows as she can stand so it's more difficult for the acid to travel up the oesophagus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Zantac should only be taken on a doctor's recommendation during pregnancy.

Just wanted to highlight this one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm using the Fruit Rennies myself. Gaviscon is manky IMO.

I'm not too bad though only need about 4 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm using the Fruit Rennies myself. Gaviscon is manky IMO.

I'm not too bad though only need about 4 a day.

Same here. I had terrible heartburn during my pregnancy. Tried Gaviscon but it didnt have much impact. The rennie tablets were much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My doctor recommended tablets for ulcers that can be prescribed even when pregnant i think they're PPI's???.. (unfortunately for me i can't take them cos i'm lactose intolerant and they're coated in the stuff.._ i find if i get hungry i'll get it and it won't go away even if i eat.. it gets so bad i get sick now quite a bit again which is a pain in the ass...i've only 2 weeks to go so i'm looking forward to being able to eat properly again!!! and for me it's tomatoes or anything with tomato in it.,any kind of tea or coffee fizzy drinks vinegary things... but i do find rennies better than gavisgon and cream crackers are great for snacking on so she doesn't get too hungry inbetween meals.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Great advice all, and much appreciated.

So the Fruity Rennie's wins hands down.
    I tried to get her to take Rennies origionally but she doesn't like mint, I didn't know they came in 2 flavours.

Well, its down to the shops for me.

I'll let you's know how she gets on.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

cbyrd wrote: »
    My doctor recommended tablets for ulcers that can be prescribed even when pregnant i think they're PPI's???..

Proton Pump Inhibitors :)

Rennies are great as I think they are calcium enriched which is an added bonus for little growing bones!

Advertisement