Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally! A portable snes!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Some stats -

* 3.5" screen
    * Replaceable rechargeable battery
    * ac adapter
    * av cable
    * Two Wireless RF 2.4 Ghz Controllers
    * Ear Phones

Soon to be released, a Snes version of the Nomad. (As in a portable that takes snes carts)

Can preorder here -

http://stoneagegamer.com/fc16goportablesnes.aspx

They're saying over on digitalpress that it's of good quality. I r excited!

edit - Seems you can buy them on ebay. But they're based in the US so postage is a lot.

Also there might be issues with PAL/NTSC compatability. Which is the only thing stopping me buying one at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks very nice indeed,

but....

In a day and ages when you can play every Snes game imaginable on a PSP via emulation what's the point?
    I mean, sure, it's cool to play your own cart collection, but when it's not on a Snes controller, but on built in keypad, why bother?
    It just seems a but pointless to me, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

but....

In a day and ages when you can play every Snes game imaginable on a PSP via emulation what's the point?

In a day and age where you can play every Snes game imaginable on a PC via emulation, what's the point?

If you collect and play classic hardware, emulation never comes into the equation. Either does usability or form. It's always just about using original hardware. You of all people should know that! Do you have any gameboys or gameboy advances? Why bother, just emulate them on the DS.
    I mean, sure, it's cool to play your own cart collection, but when it's not on a Snes controller, but on built in keypad, why bother?

Same could be said about the Nomad. That doesn't use a Megadrive control pad either.

Plus if you want to go the controller route, this thing also comes with wireless Snes pads. So you can in fact use a Snes controller.

This thing rocks. All the arguements you've used for it not rocking are arguements which are used against retro gaming in general :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Wow, this is cool. I have a Yobo FC Twin and it is a great piece of hardware, so I trust the name, and as my entire Super Nintendo collection is NTSC, I have no problems with compatibility. I like that it has a replaceable Lithium Ion battery, no fooling around with batteries. The sound seemed good for a handheld, just wondering about brightness and is there headphone available? Screen could be bigger. Wonder how much it weighs.

I think I would get this, maybe sometime next year, it appeals to me, but I don't like that gray colour at all. Either Black or Red please!

EDIT: Yes it has headphone output :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah have to agree, the silver looks like muck.

There are a few other different colours. The guy who's importing them only has the silver at the moment though. One of them has a black base but a wine/red colour where the silver is. Kind of reminded me of the wine coloured DS XL. It comes with wine coloured Snes pads too.

As for the screen, it's actually quite big. It's just the rest of the unit is so massive it makes it look smaller :eek:

One thing to note if anyone is interested in buying one of these. Yobo's main competator has one in production too. One of the things they said about Yobo's one was 'It's nice, but big'..which may indicate their one is going to be a good deal smaller.

I would have liked it also if the Super Nintendo carts fitted right into the machine but what can you do. It does look a bit too big, and, as it is aimed at the Retrogaming community, alot of people in that market will already be playing SNES games on their DS's or PSP's. It either needs to be cheaper or needs to be smaller, but I think I would still go for one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It does seem a little on the large side... I will stick to my psp for now ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    In a day and age where you can play every Snes game imaginable on a PC via emulation, what's the point?

If you collect and play classic hardware, emulation never comes into the equation. Either does usability or form. It's always just about using original hardware. You of all people should know that! Do you have any gameboys or gameboy advances? Why bother, just emulate them on the DS.

Same could be said about the Nomad.

And this device is hardly a Nintendo product, I mean, sure if it was Ninty in Nomad form I'd say it has value, but it's a chinese knockoff, and they never seem to provide the dervice they promise.
    I am a firm believer in playing games on original hardware for the proper experience, and this certainly does not resemble the experience I was having back in 92.

Plus if you want to go the controller route, this thing also comes with wireless Snes pads. So you can in fact use a Snes controller.

If the pads are just like Snes pads and you are using this as a home console via the supplied AV cables then it shoots down the point of buying it, especially as customers with Snes cart invariably already have a Snes!

In fact the only advantage this thing has over the Snes is the wireless controllers.

Due to the DS knock off design and the fact that at no point will it feel like you are playing a Snes, in fact the only feature of this device that appears to be just like the old days is the presence of the Snes game on the screen, I don't honestly see how playing via emulation on a PSP is any different, except you can get more games onto it and it has a very nice screen,
    and you can have your megadrive games on there too!
    This thing rocks. All the arguements you've used for it not rocking are arguements which are used against retro gaming in general :P

Nope, not right there either, I'm sure anyone who buys this and loves Nintendo will be very happy, I'm not disputing that at all, but to play Snes games on the go, well, it isn't made by Nintendo, and all it really provides is a knock off piece of hardware that allows you to play Snes games from the cartridge, so that is the only other thing this does, nothing about it is original aside from the use of actual Snes carts, which is nice, but again, why bother?
    I mean it really only possess' novelty value,
    So to recap:

Snes games at home?
    Buy a Snes and play those lovely Snes carts, just like me :)

Snes games you really want but can't get due to ebay being expensive, games unavailable, you have no money?
    Snes emu via the Wii and the Homebrew Channel, just like... somebody I know real well.....

Snes games on the move?
    Just pop some CFW on your PSP, stick in a Snes emulator and a few roms and away you go!!

So, I love retrogaming, I love playing on original hardware or I wouldn't have 50 odd machines in my possession, and so on.
    But I can appreciate 3rd party, chinese clones, but don't consider them more than they are, if this was an official Nintendo product that would be different, but it's not and that's that.
    No idea how the console feels to play, what those controllers are like etc.

I would be delighted to own the Nes clone by the same company, as it offers one or two ket advantages over the Nes,
    1- The wireless controllers, natch
    2- The damn thing works without having to perform satanic rituals with the carts and pin connector to get it to work!

And my Snes works fine, so I don't need the FC-16 Go...

And on another note, this may all have gotten out of hand,

I think I'll have a lie down.....

Please keep yer posts to 300 words or less CiDeR :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

but....

I totally agree. Playing retro on the go I wouldn't wanna lug my SNES games around with me. Some kind of retro gaming on the PSP would be much preferable!

It looks pretty awesome. But tis not for me. Would consider getting a SNES joypad for the Wii though :)

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Please keep yer posts to 300 words or less CiDeR :P

I like words.
    And so use as many of them as I possibly can.
    I regard the "quick reply" button as a suggestion rather than a rule!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement