Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Cutlery Company

• 08-12-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm targeting this thread at anyone with a good historical knowledge of Enniscorthy so here is your opportunity to shine.

I trying to get some background research on a company called Irish Cutlery Co Ltd for an article I'm writing. I know that in the 1960s they were making flatware (spoons, knives and forks) although I believe that in the 1940s and 50s they made razor blades (safety razors) under the brand name 'Mac's Smile - De-Luxe Blades.'

I am particularly interested in finding out who started the business and when and how many years they operated in Enniscorthy. I suspect they packed up around 1972.

All or any contributions will be welcome,

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fergal Caffrey

Hi there Scribbler! My name is Fergal. I too would like to find out about the Irish Cutlery Company. I'd like to buy some of their cutlery as I like what they make. Can you share with me what you have learned about them and if indeed they are no longer trading? Any contact information for contacting them? How does one get information on such a company? Thank you! Fergal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hi there Scribbler! My name is Fergal. I too would like to find out about the Irish Cutlery Company. I'd like to buy some of their cutlery as I like what they make. Can you share with me what you have learned about them and if indeed they are no longer trading? Any contact information for contacting them? How does one get information on such a company? Thank you! Fergal.

I wonder if their knives are good for cutting spam?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

We were just discussing them last night which is a bit random! Someone mentioned the founder was originally from Belfast. Don't know his name but I think the Mac in the blades name was to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭acein1

the scribbler, sorry i cant help,but i would be very happy if you find out anything about the "mac smile blades",ive exausted my search for those a long time ago, i remember them well and just for those that do not remember,their logo was.
    a man with a bald head needing a shave, and when turned up the other way showed a clean shaven face with a crew cut.
    all im after is a picture of the "logo. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

the scribbler hasn't posted on Boards for a year and ten months! Serious Zombie alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jayarfer

I know that that the Irish Cutlery Company was around in the early 1900's in Dublin. My grandfather and great grandfather, both called Edward Rowland and cutlers from Sheffield England were living in Dublin and had something to do with the company - which I think was then owned by a man named O'Shea. I am also looking into the history of the company as it is evidently part of my family history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnmccann

My father Robert McCann was MD of the company until his dearth in 1967

Advertisement