Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please!! Eircom broadband problems, cant find solution.

Options
  • 08-12-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have posted this somewhere else but I didn't find a solution.

First off, I am in Donegal, on the Ballybofey exchange (approx 1-1.5 km away, i think) the eircom network is not down in the area.

I have two laptops (one vista, one XP) and a PS3 on my home network. Everything was working perfectly together with only one or two hiccups over the past two years.

One night (23rd Nov) the internet went down on everything (unfortunatly I forgot to check if neighbours had the same problem). I tacked it down to the 3 yr old modem eircom supplied as it had been a bit funny for a while. The next day I bought a new router (in the North but it was also in the euro argos catalogue so I dont think that was relevant)

The new Belkin router was connected to the XP fine but wouldnt connect to the internet. I tried again with the vista and no joy.

I switched back to the old router. I also had to reinstall windows into the vista (it crashed, surprise surprise). The vista and PS3 work fine online now, but the XP still wont work!

On the XP, it is connected to the router with "very good" to "excellent" signal. I checked IP addresses, DNS etc against the vista settings, all matched. I tried changing my computer's IP address but no joy. Switched to open DNS, tried troubleshooting (according to eircom troubleshooter there is nothing wrong with my internet) however, everytime I try to go online (with either firefox or IE) I got the same Server Not Found message.

Another thing I noticed was that both the XP and Vista were connected to each other in that WORKGROUP connection. I changed the XP to workgroup 1 and the vista to workgroup 2. Still nothing. I have no idea what's wrong or what to do about it!

Help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Belkin

That is the problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have posted this somewhere else but I didn't find a solution.

First off, I am in Donegal, on the Ballybofey exchange (approx 1-1.5 km away, i think) the eircom network is not down in the area.

I have two laptops (one vista, one XP) and a PS3 on my home network. Everything was working perfectly together with only one or two hiccups over the past two years.

One night (23rd Nov) the internet went down on everything (unfortunatly I forgot to check if neighbours had the same problem). I tacked it down to the 3 yr old modem eircom supplied as it had been a bit funny for a while. The next day I bought a new router (in the North but it was also in the euro argos catalogue so I dont think that was relevant)

The new Belkin router was connected to the XP fine but wouldnt connect to the internet. I tried again with the vista and no joy.

I switched back to the old router. I also had to reinstall windows into the vista (it crashed, surprise surprise). The vista and PS3 work fine online now, but the XP still wont work!

On the XP, it is connected to the router with "very good" to "excellent" signal. I checked IP addresses, DNS etc against the vista settings, all matched. I tried changing my computer's IP address but no joy. Switched to open DNS, tried troubleshooting (according to eircom troubleshooter there is nothing wrong with my internet) however, everytime I try to go online (with either firefox or IE) I got the same Server Not Found message.

Another thing I noticed was that both the XP and Vista were connected to each other in that WORKGROUP connection. I changed the XP to workgroup 1 and the vista to workgroup 2. Still nothing. I have no idea what's wrong or what to do about it!

Help is greatly appreciated!

This is a little unclear. You've done all this needless work on your internal network, but nothing to do with if the broadbands the problem or not. Log into the Eircom modem on 192.168.1.254 and check the line stats and status first to make sure that parts working before anything else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The title of your post states that you have Eircom BB problems and yet you acknowledge in your post that you have bb connectivity so how exactly are Eircom contributing to your problem?:rolleyes:

As pointed out above you seem to have done a fierce amount of random purposeless messing. For example why change your workgroup settings?

Have you antivirus software installed? Have you tried switching it off to see if a recent update is causing the problem? A friend of mine was having connection problems in the past couple of weeks and it seemed to have been caused by an avg update.

When connection problems occur it is essential to be methodical in trying to diagnose what has gone wrong. The first step is to count to ten - the second step is not to start messing with settings that have previously worked fine. The next step is to establish whether or not you have actually lost your internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭M15

Simpliest thing ever

1. Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard and the Letter "R"
      this will bring up the box called run
    2. In this box type "cmd" and press enter on the keyboard
    3. A black window will appear
    4. In this window type "ping" then a space then www.google.ie
    5. This will tell if there is any connection on the computer at all
    6. Please ignore previous persons post which says to go to router and check status as your other computer connect fine so that is not the issue.
    Am not being bad or anything just want to ensure you get all the right info.
    We can come back to the router issue later.
    General Belkin are: well if i accuratly described what belkin are I'd be banned. Lets just say there not the best routers in the world

1. If the response to "ping" is reply then there is a connection, and its a internet explorer or Firefox issue.
    2. Also run the following
    Ok so what you need to do is the same thing again
    Windows Key and Letter "R",
    Get the Run box and type "cmd"
    Then when the blackbox opens simply copy all that is below ensure there are no spaces or gaps just copy the whole thing.
    This will reset what is know as the IP stack, I have worked in 2 ISP and for Microsoft and this works 90% of the time.
    Copy from within the quotations but dont actually copy the quotations

"ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    netsh ip int reset reset.txt

pause

stop

exit"

Kind Regards
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Spear wrote: »
    This is a little unclear. You've done all this needless work on your internal network, but nothing to do with if the broadbands the problem or not. Log into the Eircom modem on 192.168.1.254 and check the line stats and status first to make sure that parts working before anything else.

I mentioned that the other laptop is working fine with no problems.

I have logged in to the eircom modem (on the laptop with the problem) and apparently everything is fine, all is connected.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    The title of your post states that you have Eircom BB problems and yet you acknowledge in your post that you have bb connectivity so how exactly are Eircom contributing to your problem?:rolleyes:

As pointed out above you seem to have done a fierce amount of random purposeless messing. For example why change your workgroup settings?

Have you antivirus software installed? Have you tried switching it off to see if a recent update is causing the problem? A friend of mine was having connection problems in the past couple of weeks and it seemed to have been caused by an avg update.

When connection problems occur it is essential to be methodical in trying to diagnose what has gone wrong. The first step is to count to ten - the second step is not to start messing with settings that have previously worked fine. The next step is to establish whether or not you have actually lost your internet connection.

I probably should count to 10, I have quite a temper :o

Well I am connected to the internet, when I log in to the modem at 169.192etc... it says I'm connected and that DSL is available.
    Also, when I run that eircom self help thing it says everything is OK. Computer Network Connection, Gateway Connection, DSL Connection, PPPoE Gateway, Internet Connection all are OK.

Still, every time I try and open google or facebook or something it get the same server not found message.

I turned off all antivirus and firewall software, nothing...

I changed the workgroup settings just in case it was the connection with the Vista that was the problem (turns out it wasn't)

I dont actually know what the problem is, so finding a solution is difficult. That's why I've been messing with settings, to see if it'll help at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

The Belkin shouldn't be a problem as they are pretty good modem/routers.

The XP box, you might need to input it's MAc address to the router.

Cheers

Thanks for the help Mark, but unfortunately this must be one of the 10% of the times it doesnt work! At this stage I have no idea what could be wrong. It's not the router anyway because I left back the new one and went back to the old Netopia router, still nothing.

The ping request didn't work, www.google.ie couldn't be found. The second command prompt you offered didnt work either, the command ip int reset reset.txt wasn't found. The first bit was grand, the ipconfig /flush dns ipconfig /registerdns that was accepted just not the next part.

I'm lost.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hi,

The Belkin shouldn't be a problem as they are pretty good modem/routers.

The XP box, you might need to input it's MAc address to the router.

Cheers

How do I do that?

When I log in to the router page and look at LAN Statistics the devices on LAN are listed, each with an IP address, Name and MAC address so I think that it's already done :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

I mentioned that the other laptop is working fine with no problems.

I have logged in to the eircom modem (on the laptop with the problem) and apparently everything is fine, all is connected.

I am having the same problem with my desktop, which is wired to modem.
    while the laptop which is wireless is working perfectly,
    if you come up with an answer, pass it on
    I have checked that the wiring is ok and properly connected

• Advertisement

baubl wrote: »
    I am having the same problem with my desktop, which is wired to modem.
    while the laptop which is wireless is working perfectly,
    if you come up with an answer, pass it on
    I have checked that the wiring is ok and properly connected

I may have the solution.... Tiny little monsters are magically interfering with it.

No but seriously this is very irritating, I feel your pain. All these troubleshooters telling me nothing is wrong when there clearly is, is just like rubbing salt into a wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nadeemmahmood

Hi there, i been to your query and the only thing you have to change the settings in your Belkin router.. are as follows
    vpi:- 8
    vci:-35
    Connection type :- pppoe / LLC Based
    MTU : 1400
    and it should work for u if not u can email me back i will sure help u out for this.. issue

Thanks for the help but I left back the Belkin router! The internet problem is to do with the laptop not the router. I still can't figure it out but it is definitally the computer!
    Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 danoxx1

ring up

eircom

ok hope this clarifies everything

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

danoxx1 wrote: »
    eircom

The problem has nothing got to do with Eircom as the op has stated that his bb is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi OP I feel your pain, this may be suggesting the obvious but have you tried rebooting the offending laptop.

You could also try shutting down all programmes you have running in the background ( antivirus etc)

I had a problem logging on to broadband once on my PC when everything else worked fine (laptop+Wii) I discovered it was the settings on the clock were off, as soon as I set the thing to correct time zone and it logged on without problems.

I think you may also want to change the thread title as it is suggesting that the problem is an eircom one and not an equipment failure.

On your xp machine start pinging your router, then your other devices on your network.
    Also is your gateway defined correctly on your XP machine and on your router is DHCP set accordingly?

Try a release/refresh the machine's DHCP address by opening up a cmd-shell and entering "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew"

Maybe try assigning an IP address manually, define the DHCP range within the router and assign the IP, Gateway address on your XP machine outside off this.

On your Xp Machine is it through wireless which you are having problems?
    Have you tried it through your nic? (cable)

On your XP Machine is their by any chance a proxy set up?

And finally as mentioned in the IT crowd, "Have you tried turning it on and off?" (Joking):D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kochu.1980

Hay is the problem solved?? if so may i know how u cleared it??

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    The problem has nothing got to do with Eircom as the op has stated that his bb is working fine.

I'm a girl so it's "her broadband" :p

kochu.1980 wrote: »
    Hay is the problem solved?? if so may i know how u cleared it??

I brought the laptop into a computer repair shop and turns out there was a problem with the motherboard. I've actually had it replaced once already because of a boot loop problem so I'm now on my third!

If anyone has the same problem just take it to a pro because it's probably a hardware problem.

Advertisement