Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a compound bow please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

my advice is

STAY RECURVE
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

hey

there are a few for sale in the 2nd hand equipment threads too...

t.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

I wouldn't buy a compound on ebay unless you can see it first.

You'd want to be able to check it to make sure if hasn't been dry-fired and make sure all the bits and bobs are still on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

how would I know if its been dry fired, what would i look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

Bent cam's, cracks or chips in the limbs, excess ware or damage on the cam from the strings. Its the kind of stuff you need a bit of an eye for and need bow in hand to be able to see.

• Advertisement

The ones im looking at are new with a returns warranty. Anyone know them at all?

Hey TMG thats a huge thread I wouldnt know where to start looking. Can you maybe point me at one or two?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

I think the last post on page 2 had a few bits in it that were interesting.

(disclaimer - I am in no way affiliated with the poster, but have recently bought some equipment from him which was well priced and in great nick!)

t.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi there,

I had a similar story some years ago, was shooting recurve for about 4 years and wanted to make the switch. To be honest, if you've been shooting as long as 6 years with a recurve then my advice would be to get a better compound that those in the links - something that would suit an experienced archer like yourself. The ones in the links aren't really competitive bows in that they are not really designed with competition in mind.

My first compound was a Hoyt UltraTEC. It was a really great bow for the switch. Well built by a top company and designed specifically for competitive shooting. You can pick models like this up on ebay now for quite cheap these days.

Upshot is, after 6 years of shooting you are better than the bows above, and you will probably pick up a second hand bow here in Ireland (where you can check it out before buying) for cheaper than a new lower grade bow.

thanks Panserborn am keeping an eye out

• Advertisement
Advertisement