Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Around how much to replace a car key?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Friend lost her car key last night, for a 00 Renault Clio. she doesn't have a spare key. Around what price is a new one? I presume she has to go to a Renault dealer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The keys themselves aren't expensive, its the hour's labour to code them to the clocks/ecu that makes it expensive. It only takes about 20mins for them to actually do.

She'll need to go to Renault with the VLC and some ID just to prove that she owns the car.

You could price it up with an auto locksmith, i assume the have the tools to code the keys too, might work out a bit cheaper. I've never used some, but google turns up these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Seperate wrote: »
    The keys themselves aren't expensive, its the hour's labour to code them to the clocks/ecu that makes it expensive. It only takes about 20mins for them to actually do.

She'll need to go to Renault with the VLC and some ID just to prove that she owns the car.

You could price it up with an auto locksmith, i assume the have the tools to code the keys too, might work out a bit cheaper. I've never used some, but google turns up these.

Does she need the car there with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Does she need the car there with her?

I'd bring it to make sure everything worked as it should afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

For the locksmith i would assume so.

But if she goes to renault they will cut the key from the chassis number, so no, they won't need the car there. Hopefully her VLC isn't in the glove box - where most people keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

EPM wrote: »
    I'd bring it to make sure everything worked as it should afterwards

But she has no keys :D
    Seperate wrote: »
    For the locksmith i would assume so.

But if she goes to renault they will cut the key from the chassis number, so no, they won't need the car there. Hopefully her VLC isn't in the glove box - where most people keep it!

Probably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

But she has no keys :D

Missed that bit:D

Advertisement