Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How does insurance actually work?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi..Im new to driving...yet to be involved in a accident of any kind (hopefully never) Im just wondering how does car insurance actually work? what happens when you are involved in a crash? who contacts who and such? When i bought my insurance i valued my car at 2500..so if someone crashes into me and its definitely their fault,does that mean the max i can claim is 2500? and if i were to crash into someone who's say driving a 09 reg..and completely mangle their car...does my insurance cover eveything?? even if its 30K worth of damage?? or do i have to pay more from my own pocket? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Hi..Im new to driving...yet to be involved in a accident of any kind (hopefully never) Im just wondering how does car insurance actually work? what happens when you are involved in a crash? who contacts who and such? When i bought my insurance i valued my car at 2500..so if someone crashes into me and its definitely their fault,does that mean the max i can claim is 2500? and if i were to crash into someone who's say driving a 09 reg..and completely mangle their car...does my insurance cover eveything?? even if its 30K worth of damage?? or do i have to pay more from my own pocket? :confused:

When you are involved in a crash, you contact the insurance company. No matter who is at fault, or whether you actually intend to claim or not, you should always report even minor incidents to them.

The car value on the insurance form doesn't really matter to be honest. If your car is written off or stolen, you will only get the current market value of the car. (determined by the insurance company, so usually lower than actual value, but you can negotiate on this)

If you crash into an 09 car, write it off, it will be covered no matter how much damage is done to the car, thats with 3rd party insurance.

If you have fully comp, your car and the other car are covered.

If someone crashes into you and the garda determine it was their fault, their insurance covers it, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

who contacts who and such?
    You always talk to your insurer first, and they will talk you through your part in the process from there.
    When i bought my insurance i valued my car at 2500..so if someone crashes into me and its definitely their fault,does that mean the max i can claim is 2500?
    Not certain, but bear in mind that the 2500 is just the value of the car. Claims for injury or other material damage can exceed this figure.
    if i were to crash into someone who's say driving a 09 reg..and completely mangle their car...does my insurance cover eveything?? even if its 30K worth of damage?? or do i have to pay more from my own pocket? :confused:
    They will cover everything except the excess stated in your policy (usually €250-€400). Expect your premiums to go up a LOT for the next few years though.

Advertisement