Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'67 chevy impala

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hello everyone, I'm hoping some of you can help me. Im on the hunt for a black '67 chevy impala to hire as a surprise for my fiance on our wedding day.
    Does anyone know of any company or individual in Ireland who hires such a car out for occasions?
    I've already google'd it to death but have had no success.
    We live in England but are marrying in my home town in Meath. I've found a company in England that will transport an Impala from england to ireland
    but it will cost upwards of 1300GBP and that's not including shipping which i just cannot make from the budget.

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers

SS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hey Sally,

Doubt very much you'll have any luck with that unfortunately. There's not to many Impala's in the country and for an owner to do this and take reward the car and driver would have to have all the relevant PSV stuff going on. Does it have to be an Impala?

I know a guy that does Caddy hire and he's based in Trim:
    www.cadillacweddings.ie - (he's got some older stuff too)

Another idea would be Star Car Hire:
    www.starcarhire.co.uk

Or alternatively:
    http://www.heritagesportscars.com/index_files/FAQ_links.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

Starcarhire are UK/NI-based and are not licensed or insured to operate in the Republic. Ask the Taxi Regulator if you have any doubts. I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sallysoup

Thank you both so much for your replies. I have already contacted Starcarhire.co.uk and they are the ones that quoted me the 1300 plus shipping etc.

Ideally it would be an Impala because my fella saw it on Supernatural and fell in love with it...me being me i'm thinking...what's wrong with a '65 Mustang? But he just loves that Impala so i thought it would be a nice surprise.

I'll check out the websites you've suggested and i may also check out the Taxi regulator, just in case i get a loan from the bank of miracles and go for Starcarhire, i'd want to make sure it legit.

Thanks you so much for your help, fingers crossed for that miracle :)

Cheers,
    SS

sallysoup wrote: »

I'll check out the websites you've suggested and i may also check out the Taxi regulator, just in case i get a loan from the bank of miracles and go for Starcarhire, i'd want to make sure it legit.

Thanks you so much for your help, fingers crossed for that miracle :)

Cheers,
    SS

I have a wedding car business (no Impalas, I'm afraid) and starcarhire may be legit in the UK but they are definitely not licensed or insured to operate in the Republic. To put it as simply as possible, did you ever see a UK-reg taxi in your local town? Wedding cars are just like taxis and hackneys and are subject to strict regulations.

Hope it clarifies the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheOpenRoad

The rules on providing classic cars for hire for weddings in the UK seem to be different from the rules in IE. In the UK there are two exemptions from the normal taxi regulations and they are 'Use for Weddings and Funerals.'

Classic cars can therefore be provided with chauffeur hire, within the UK, for a wedding, without either the car or driver having to be licenced.

The exclusion stops there, so the cars can't be used to take children to school proms, or people to the theatre etc - normal taxi type of service. The cars offered by Star Car operate under these rules, perfectly legally in the UK.

I know as I run a classic car hire company in the UK. Interestingly enough our insurance does not allow our cars to be operated for hire in IE.

I hope this helps as background, although it doesn't help you finding an Impala for your wedding.

• Advertisement

Carole Nash operate a classic car policy here in Ireland which states that cars are covered for a certain number of weddings in the year. However I have heard from discussions with the Taxi Regulator that this policy didn't stand up to scrutiny by the Regulator and is to be withdrawn by Carole Nash.

When I started doing weddings 8 years ago, I had one of these Carole Nash policies and I remember asking what the max number of weddings was. I was told it was 8 so naturally I asked that if I had a claim on my 9th wedding, would I be covered. The answer I got was that I would be OK. I then asked was the official total of allowed weddings 8 or 9 and Carole Nash wouldn't give a definite answer. All very iffy. Anyway, I went with a proper chauffeur hire policy ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

All the answers above are much more informed then mine. I do know the impala is very rare. I also know that if you end up in the states for anything, say honeymoon, then you would have a better chance of hiring one and a better opportunity to drive it on long roads.

I take it your fiancé is a fan of supernatural??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheOpenRoad

Believe it or not, hiring a classic in the States is actually harder than in the UK (although a bit easier than IE).

There are relatively few companies in the US hiring out classics although loads hiring out modern sports or 'exotic' cars. The insurance companies can't seem to get their heads round renting classics. Their concern is that renting out classics could be unreliable and very expensive in case of accidents.

Apologies if this is all getting a bit 'anoraky' but classic car hire is my area of expertise. I run courses on setting up classic car hire companies, and have trained people from IE, US as well as UK. I also run a web portal listing classic and sports car hire companies around the world in case you are planning a trip - to anywhere www.classiccarhireworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brainseeksheart

Hi,
    I have the only 67 4 door Impala, in Ireland, its not black (yet) but I intend to respray it so it looks like the one appearing in the show as my daughter loves the series.

Question has to be,.. when is your wedding ?
    as it will take a while to do a few jobs including some rechroming

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Hi,
    I have the only 67 4 door Impala, in Ireland, its not black (yet) but I intend to respray it so it looks like the one appearing in the show as my daughter loves the series.

cheers

Posts like this restore my faith in mankind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

any pictures of it ? good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Hi,

cheers

White RHD?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BigCon wrote: »
    Posts like this restore my faith in mankind.

And the power of these forums!

Welcome to boards.ie, Brainseeksheart :)

Any pics of your Impala?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Would love to see some pics of that myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rabbit2dog

hi!

Have you still got that Impala????

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to boards, rabbit2dog. The poster is banned and this thread is 6 years old. Don't dig up old threads but by all means feel free to start a new one. This one is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement