Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of IKC registration?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

I've been browsing some puppy ads recently (don't worrying, not buying from them, just checking them out!) and I notice a number of people offering pups from the same litter as reg or unreg. The unreg puppies are on average about E50 cheaper. Is this just to avoid registration costs, or is it some other sort of scam that I'm too naive to have thought of?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

It could be to avoid registration costs but the risk you take with buying a puppy without papers is that they can't be registered. For instance if the mother has had too many litters that year ;)

(someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think you can only register 1 litter a year with the ikc?)

I have heard of people registering the pups after buying though but reputable breeders will make sure to have that done for you.

Can I ask are you looking to get a puppy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I understand why they wouldn't register all of the litter, but what I don’t understand is why you would register some pups from the litter and not others from the same litter? Surely once you register one pup that counts as a litter anyway? Unless they have multiple litters and they group the pups that must be registered together so they only have to register maybe one in three litters :eek:

I’m not getting a pup, but my parents might in the spring. I’m just bored and don’t feel like working so why not look at cute puppies instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It costs 25 euro (i think,not 100%) to register a pup, but to register with the IKC they must be microchipped too which will cost the breeder money so they are probably just trying to save themselves money and not register unless they have to.

The other side of it is they dont want to register because the mother has had too many litters and wouldnt be allowed to register anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

andreac wrote: »
    It costs 25 euro (i think,not 100%) to register a pup, but to register with the IKC they must be microchipped too which will cost the breeder money so they are probably just trying to save themselves money and not register unless they have to.

The other side of it is they dont want to register because the mother has had too many litters and wouldnt be allowed to register anyway.

E50 is probably about the totally cost of registering so...

As an aside, what is the maximum number of litters allowed? Three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

From IKC site - one of the codes of ethics
    # I shall not mate from any bitch kept by me (a) under one year of age, (b) or over eight years of age, (c) for not more than six litters, (d) or dogs over the age of twelve years. Permission must be sought and granted by the Irish Kennel Club to exceed these provisions.

Registering pups costs money and they need to be microchipped, so yes some people may not want to register all of them / may have had an accidental litter / might be over breeding. Some people (as in buyers) like the choice - if you say 'I don't want them registered or chipped' you get the pup cheaper, as some people don't care for the papers/chipping.

My pup was registered and chipped - I just had to do the transfer of ownership papers which was €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's better in general to buy a regd. pup but it doesn't gurantee anything health wise etc. Some breeders don't pay full whack for chips etc. either some use subsidised/charity vets to pay for their handywork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Also recently have seen adverts for people wanting to buy un-used papers in order to breed their own dog who I presume was not reg. or who had too many litters for IKC

They were advertising for papers for a dog same breed/age as their own dog :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The pups might be advertised as being from the same litter to hide the fact that the advertisers are breeding more than one litter at a time, their may be an issue with the mother or father of the unreg. pups ie. too young, too old, too many litters bred from them, endorsements etc. I always recommend buying a reg. pup in combination with health certs and a contract, its more costly in the short term but avoids future financial and emotional comebacks in the future.

Advertisement