Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Beers

Options
  • 08-12-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭

Looked in a few places now for the Erdinger Christmas bottles but still not around. Anybody come across them?

This country is completely lame when it comes to stuff like this. Germany and the Nordic countries (and probably a lot more) have specific Christmas beers and it really adds to the atmosphere of Christmas.

What do we get? A festively decorated cardboard box that contains the same bloody beer you get all year round! :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

3 Kings Christmas Ale by Franciscan Well is currently on tap at the 'Well itself and the Bull & Castle.
    Messrs Maguire JulÓl is currently on tap at Messrs Maguire (and I believe there may be a few bottles floating around the Templemore area).

We're doing a hell of a lot better for Christmas beers than we used to. And if you want it to get even better, drink Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Cheers beernut! That's great to know! If I get a chance to get to the city over the holidays I must call in to the Well.

But where could I get something to enjoy at home?

Depends where you are.

Lots of Lidls have the Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale in at the moment. The decent beer offies around Dublin at least have Bateman's Rosey Nosey, Anchor Special Ale and Sierra Nevada Celebration at the moment, among plenty of other winter warmers which aren't necessarily seasonally-branded.

You'll find a national map of good beer off licences here. They're the green pins.

Cheers beernut. I'll check out Lidl on the way home. I'm in Mallow.

Thanks for the map too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I was pleasantly surprised to find Aldi now stock bottled ales.

Lets hope they're not just for Christmas as they went down a treat at the weekend. Quite a smokey taste off them - Like a watered down White Chapel Porter (In a good way).

• Advertisement

No worries.

You can also get stuff delivered from DrinkStore in Dublin.

Looking through the selection there's Aventinus, Dark Lord, Clotworthy Dobbin, Coopers Vintage, Delirium Nocturnum, Fuller's 1845, Fuller's London Porter, Gouden Carolus, Ola Dubh, Old Engine Oil, Twelve Days, McChouffe, Salvator, Samuel Adams Triple Bock, St. Bernardus Abt 12, Urbock 23°, and Rochefort 10.

All ideal for the Christmas stash.

Thanks for all this beernut. Just ahd a quick look through drinkstore.ie and it's the Erndinger Schneeweise that I have been looking for. Super Valu stocked it the last 2 years for Christmas but it's not there now. I might ask them about it the next time I'm there.

have to check out the Lidl beer tonight though. I've read mixed reviews about it on IrishCraftBrewer.

Worth a punt at €1.99, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Erndinger Schneeweise

McHughs stock it at 4 for €10.

They normally stock a decent selection of the crimbo beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

Supervalu can get it in. I do the beer in Supervalu Balbriggan and I got ten cases of the stuff off Noreast beers. I also got a few cases of rosey nosey from C&R

• Advertisement

Cheers everyone. Thanks Wobzilla. I'll have a chat with the local supervalu!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

Just had a few bottles of the Rosey Nosey, Pretty good brew (and I don't usually go for the paler beers). I liked the Bateman's beers that I've tasted and i'd put this above Victory Ale but below XXXB and Dark Lord (My favourite from Bateman's)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Some interesting America Christmas ale available now

Had the Goose Island Christmas Ale this evening. Hooooo yeah!

Dark Lord's great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

BeerNut wrote: »
    Depends where you are.

Lots of Lidls have the Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale in at the moment.

I heard thats lovely, gonna try it tomorrow. Is it 7% :)

It is. Just finished my first of this year. I still like it. It's not great beer, but it's great beer for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Looked in a few places now for the Erdinger Christmas bottles but still not around. Anybody come across them?

This country is completely lame when it comes to stuff like this. Germany and the Nordic countries (and probably a lot more) have specific Christmas beers and it really adds to the atmosphere of Christmas.

What do we get? A festively decorated cardboard box that contains the same bloody beer you get all year round! :mad:
    unfortunately the majority of drinking folk in this country are simpletons who wont move outside their Heineken, Budweiser or other crappy lager safety zone. So until we as a nation become sophisticated enough in our drinking habits, expect the status quo to remain. I know O'Donovans and Bradleys in Cork and Arthurs Quay Tesco in Limerick have the christmas Erdinger in stock. Fine Wines also have stuff like Rosey Nosey and Bah Humbug christmas ales.

Ok so far:

No Christmas beer/ale in Super Valu Mallow, Dunnes Mallow, Tesco Mallow, Centra Mallow, LIDL Mallow, ALDI Mallow, O' Donovans Mallow and Carry Out Mallow.

No Christmas beer/ale in Dunnes Blackpool, Fine Wines Blackpool.

No Christmas beer/ale in LIDL Farranree.

No Christmas beer/ale in Super Valu Hollyhill.

I've only a week left as I won't be in the country next week. I won't have a chance to get in to Cork City to look in Bradley's on the North Main Street but if I'm desperate I just might take a detour on the way home from work but Christ this is hard work! :mad:

Ok, going to stop in the O' SUllivans (I think) off licence in Blarney on the way home today aswell as the Centra and the Super Valu there.

This is why some of us put up with all the crap that comes with living in big cities. I had two Christmas ales in the pub on Wednesday night and went to a free beer tasting on Thursday which included four more. But I don't have much of a view out my window :P

Good luck with the search!

Only got to Centra in Tower Monday night. Guess what? No Christmas beer! :mad:

Right, I'm going to give LIDL in Mallow one more go today and then that's it. I give up on Christmas beer in Ireland and will just have to drink copious amounts of it next week in a Nordic Christmas beer friendly country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

. I give up on Christmas beer in Ireland and will just have to drink copious amounts of it next week in a Nordic Christmas beer friendly country.

Yea I know the availability is not great but in fairness there a couple of online shops that you could have bought from that would have delivered to you by now.

Only got to Centra in Tower Monday night. Guess what? No Christmas beer! :mad:

Right, I'm going to give LIDL in Mallow one more go today and then that's it. I give up on Christmas beer in Ireland and will just have to drink copious amounts of it next week in a Nordic Christmas beer friendly country.

Well there are places it seems the trucks just cant find there way to Cork.

Ok so far:

No Christmas beer/ale in Super Valu Mallow, Dunnes Mallow, Tesco Mallow, Centra Mallow, LIDL Mallow, ALDI Mallow, O' Donovans Mallow and Carry Out Mallow.

No Christmas beer/ale in Dunnes Blackpool, Fine Wines Blackpool.

No Christmas beer/ale in LIDL Farranree.

No Christmas beer/ale in Super Valu Hollyhill.

I've only a week left as I won't be in the country next week. I won't have a chance to get in to Cork City to look in Bradley's on the North Main Street but if I'm desperate I just might take a detour on the way home from work but Christ this is hard work! :mad:

Ok, going to stop in the O' SUllivans (I think) off licence in Blarney on the way home today aswell as the Centra and the Super Valu there.

The supermarkets (the irish ones anyway) are the wrong place to look for christmas beer. To be honest I'm amazed they still any beer that isn't supplied by heineken or diageo. Beers like erdinger etc. barely make up two percent of alcohol sales where I work.Unfortunately theres no incentive for supermarkets to sell them, even if they are better beers.

Oh and you could give Noreast a bell and ask them for a list of stockists of the snow beer in Cork.

Cheers everyone. I'm flying out on Saturday so I'll give up on getting it this year. :( I was checking the supermarkets as the last 2 years I was able to get it in the Super Valu in Mallow.

Will follow oblivious' advice and order it in on-line next year! :)

Merry Christmas!!

Well I'm back from my trip to colder climes where I drank a lot of Lapin Kulta Christmas Beer, which was great.

Fondly savoured my last one before flying home.

Decided today that I'd get a few beers in, put the fire on and deafen the dog with my atrocious guitar playing so headed up to the Carry Out in Mallow and there on the shelf was......ROSEY NOSEY!!!!

DEFINITELY A HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!! :D

Advertisement