Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiesman Trophy

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭

The finalist for the heisman trophy have been announced,

Alabama RB Mark Ingram.

Florida QB Tim Tebow.

Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh.

Stanford RB Toby Gerhart.

Texas QB Colt McCoy.

Who do you Think wins it? I think it should be Ingram. Hes had a great year statistically and has done a hell of a lot to get the Tide to the national championship game.

Suh has also been amazing and this year, with no clear cut leaders, might make a defensive players chances a lot better. That said i still don't think he will get the votes to win it.

Edit: I just noticed I spelled Heisman wrong in the title. Damn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Toby Gerhart was with a big college he would be a certainty for it imo, unfortunately he is not with one of them and so its wide open.

Imo Toby Gerhart deserves it, doesn't mean he will get it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Toby Gerhart was with a big college he would be a certainty for it imo, unfortunately he is not with one of them and so its wide open.

Imo Toby Gerhart deserves it, doesn't mean he will get it though.

I would agree with this but Ingram will get it Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

I really want Suh to win it. Would be great to see a defensive player get it. He's a monster and had a great season.

Only other player i wanna see win it would be Gerhart. I wonder if Ingram would be such a contender if he wasn't on a big SEC team and Alabama didn't have their current record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

I don't understand why they would give it to Ingram over Gerhart if they are giving it to a Running back? Gerhart has had a far more impressive season imo.

ESPN - The Case for Toby Gerhart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I don't understand why they would give it to Ingram over Gerhart if they are giving it to a Running back? Gerhart has had a far more impressive season imo.

ESPN - The Case for Toby Gerhart

Because Gerhart plays for Standford simple as. We all know Gerhart is as strong as candidate if not better than Ingram but unfortunately with the Heisman trophy it has become somewhat of a popularity contest over the last few years. The more popular you and your school are the better it stands to you. Shu or Gerhart would be my top choices out of that list either one of them to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

A big player that performs on big game days in a big team, has to be Mark Ingram.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I'd love Suh to win it, a proper full time defensive player. It would be a great statement to see him win it. Cant see it happening mind, even with Suh jumping out at you anytime you see the huskers playing the voters will only be looking at the ball.

Don't understand Tebow and McCoy being in the semis. This is not a lifetime achivement award and both QBs are undeserving of their places in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

gerhart should, Ingram will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Suh should get it, McCoy will imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

I watched a lot of Florida games just to see Tebow. McCoy was brilliant in last weeks game, made a bigegr impression than Ingram who will probably get it based on the whole season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Berty44 wrote: »
    I watched a lot of Florida games just to see Tebow. McCoy was brilliant in last weeks game, made a bigegr impression than Ingram who will probably get it based on the whole season.

I would have liked to have seen CJ Spiller as a candidate. Every game bar one he was electric. Toby Gerhart was great for Stanford and would be a very worthy winner he is statistically better than Ingram and had less 'poor' games, albeit against better defences in the SEC but that shouldnt really be relevant in voting for the Heisman. I'm not knocking Ingram because he is great and is the offence for Bama. I'd just feel that for the Heisman he hasnt been 'outstanding' enough to warrent it over Gerhart-or Suh but I think everyone would be amazed to see a full time defensive player(no returns or receptions etc) win the award. Bama is a defensive football team whereas Gerhart was the focal point making Stanford relevant again on the national stage and that would be why I think he should win the award.

As it is Ingram, Suh or Gerhart would all be good choices for varying reasons but McCoy and Tebow are there for their careers and their profiles. Both will go down as the top players from their class of recruits but shouldnt be up for the Heisman. Its an award of excellence over the course of a season. McCoy struggled at times this year with new recievers and at times a non-existant running game, Tebow had a poor line that put him under pressure and he had to bed in new recievers after losing Murphy and Harvin to the NFL. Both found a way to win on the field but not in my view on a Heisman ballot sheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Suh deserves this above all else, but McCoy or Ingram will probably get it. God forbid a defensive player should win it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Archimedes wrote: »
    Suh deserves this above all else, but McCoy or Ingram will probably get it. God forbid a defensive player should win it :rolleyes:

Charles Woodson won it back in the day :D

I'm pretty sure the ridiculous way these college football things are decided means it'll be McCoy or Ingram alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

i think that Suh should get it but just don't see it happening I'm a big Tebow fan so would love to see him get it but we all know that he doesn't deserve it out of Ingram and Gerhart IMO Gerhart would deserve it but i can see it being between Colt and Ingram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

BULL****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

BULL****

"Best team in College Football's best player wins Heisman" Shocker. In fairness, there can't be too many arguments IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Advertisement