Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American sink disposals?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

In a lot of American tv shows, people have sink disposals . Cutting/grinding devices under the sink that allow small waste (mostly food) to be passed.

I was thinking it would be great to have one. But i have never heard or know anyone who has one.
    Garbage disposal units became popular in American kitchens of the better-off in the 1970s and 1980s. In the U.S. 47% of homes had disposal units as of 2007, but in the United Kingdom this was only 6%

I wonder why they arent used in Ireland or UK as much?
    The environmental impact has both positives and negatives.

So, anyone have one?
    Would you get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Krieg wrote: »
    In a lot of American tv shows, people have sink disposals . Cutting/grinding devices under the sink that allow small waste (mostly food) to be passed.

I was thinking it would be great to have one. But i have never heard or know anyone who has one.

I wonder why they arent used in Ireland or UK as much?
    The environmental impact has both positives and negatives.

So, anyone have one?
    Would you get one?

You can get these from plenty of fitted kitchen suppliers in Ireland nowadays, there is also a thriving market for them in the UK.

The drawback with retro fitting these is that you also have to change the sink, unless you have one with a larger waste outlet.

I looked into setting up a business here installing these, my research indicated that people were reluctant to fit them because of the perceived safety issues, personal injury, and servicing.

There is also a device available that you fit to the waste pipe outside the house that catchs the debris from the waste unit to prevent it going down the sewer or into the septic tank.

Regards,

Fries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

I work on these all the time. They are fantastic, cuts your monthly refuse by about 50%. Best one is an insinkerater supplied by a company called KAL.
    It will fit to any type of sink. These units are mre common in Ireland then you might think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some local authorities here have banned them due to the extra strain they put on waste water treatment plants (extra organic material).

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/env/Water_Pollution/macerators.htm

A more detailed evaluation oftheir impact can be found here ...

http://www.water.org.uk/home/policy/positions/waste-macerators-position-paper

There ar a few other links if you Google 'macerators site:ie' taht lead to more general reports in PDF or DOC format as well.

Advertisement