Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend clubs in Belfast

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Currently trying to organise a trip to Belfast for my class in college (I'm class rep), but I've never been to Belfast...Can anyone reccommend me a few clubs? I don't mean proper dance clubs, because that won't be to everyone's taste, but somewhere that maybe has a few floors with one chart and one dance, or something to that effect. Preferably in the city centre too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

I was at a Kings of Leon gig up there this time last year, we were told to go to 'Waring st/corner' I think it was, there's a few nightclubs close together there

Why Belfast anyway, I thought it was a bit of a kip - wouldn't be in a hurry to go back! Few people weren't the most welcoming lets say when they heard our accents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

There're a good few English on the course, thought it'd be nice for them ya' know, also so I get an excuse to stock up on cheap drink, and because I thought it'd be more exciting than Galway.

I'll look up that area though, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Was up there a couple of years back with the football club for a friendly match weekend and we ended up in a place called Milk. Had a great night, full of friendly blart and the resident DJ had the place rocking to a fairly heavy house set. We ended up there on a taxi driver's recommendation so not sure exactly where it is but we managed to walk back to Jurys Inn from it in ~10 mins, if that helps.

edit: Just did a quick google there and it seems the place may have gone downhill since. Reports of a rough crowd, dickheads on the door and music seems mainly RnB now (eurgh). Looking at google maps I've a feeling it's moved venue (like I said it's a few years since we were there) and ended up the worst for it.

Most of Mrs.Milltown's family are from around Belfast so I'll pose the question on Facebook and see if they have any recommendations. Can I presume you want somewhere with atmosphere and a variety of decent music to keep everyone happy? Or do you just want Belfast's equivalent of Copperface Jacks?

Google maps says Milk is just off the bottom of Waring St., so it looks like that's the general area to be alright...

also so I get an excuse to stock up on cheap drink

Try and get it on your way home before you get to Newry, don't know if you've been up there for drink at this time of year before - last year was my first time and it was mental!!!!
    Half of Dublin were in Sainsburys I couldn't get over it, even trying to park was a nightmare. HUGE cues from every till as well - not the best cure for a killer hangover which I'm sure you'll have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Try and get it on your way home before you get to Newry, don't know if you've been up there for drink at this time of year before - last year was my first time and it was mental!!!!
    Half of Dublin were in Sainsburys I couldn't get over it, even trying to park was a nightmare. HUGE cues from every till as well - not the best cure for a killer hangover which I'm sure you'll have!

Lisburn is an alternative. Bigger shop and a dedicated booze section. And to warn ya Irish are general disliked as all we buy is booze up there. Sainsburys don't mind but the locals do. Frankly I don't blame them.

You could ask some of the students in Queens as regards Clubs. Be cautious of bars/pubs and know your areas in Belfast.

And don't do what a mate did and stroll around in an Ireland Jersey... :rolleyes:

ironclaw wrote: »
    And don't do what a mate did and stroll around in an Ireland Jersey... :rolleyes:

Hahaha I could only imagine how that would go down with some people up there!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

Currently trying to organise a trip to Belfast for my class in college (I'm class rep), but I've never been to Belfast...Can anyone reccommend me a few clubs? I don't mean proper dance clubs, because that won't be to everyone's taste, but somewhere that maybe has a few floors with one chart and one dance, or something to that effect. Preferably in the city centre too.
    There's cupla spots quite close to each other just off the old Dublin road,which leads from Donegall square towards Queens Uni.
    One in Bankmore sq. is called The Stiff Kitten and is an excellent spot for quality toonage,although at the weekends there tends to be big name DJ's playing which ultimately means a hefty concession on the door.
    Also,just across the way on the Ormeau road is a triumvarite of clubs,all attached to each other.They are the Spring and Airbrake,Auntie Annies(a pub),and The Limelight.The latter offers an array of musical tastes and an eclectic mix of students,both young and old.
    With regard to safety issues,I reckon if ya stay in and around this part of Belfast you should have no hassle whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

OK, the facebook family tells me that Milk has now changed it's name to Rain (which was getting even worse reviews for door snobbery in last nights googling!). Highly recommended apparently is Ollies nightclub, part of the Merchant hotel in the cathedral quarter. Classy, great music and not full of kids apparently, although I'm only passing on what I'm being told.

Also, to allay any fears, our family up there are all Irish, not British (for want of a better expression) so wouldn't be recommending anywhere with red, white and blue kerbs!

Cheers lads, we're heading this Friday, so any more suggestions? This Waring corner sounds like the easiest, it's just down from the hostel too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement